Nokia's New App Is About To Make Your Android Phone A Whole Lot Better
Nokia just unveiled its new N1 tablet on Tuesday, but that's not the only Android announcement to come from the Finnish gadget company. Nokia just took its Z Launcher out of private beta, meaning anyone can download the home screen replacement from the Google Play Store starting today.
The Z Launcher doesn't just add additional features to your home screen like certain other launchers - it decides which apps would be most useful to you at a particular time. It sounds a little bit like Aviate, the Yahoo-owned Android lock screen replacement that also shows certain app categories depending on the time of day.
Nokia claims that the Z launcher learns more about your habits the more you use it. Here's a quick look at how it works.
This is what the default home screen looks like. It's a neat, clean list that makes it easy to access apps and contacts.
If you want to find a certain app, contact, or file, you can just scribble the letter it begins with on the home screen. In this case, I traced the letter L.
Here's what the search results look like. The more often you use a certain app or communicate with a particular contact, Z Launcher will remember.
Z Launcher is still in beta at the moment, which means Nokia is still working on it and smoothing out the bugs. I didn't come across any bugs or hiccups while using the launcher, and found it to be pretty quick and responsive.
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- New Airtel and Reliance Jio prepaid plans compared
- Mobile accessories company Balaji Solutions files initial papers for public listing
- Ratan Tata launches Goodfellows which helps senior citizens make friends
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed Concord Biotech files for an IPO
- Ather 450X Gen 3 vs Ola S1 vs TVS iQube S – price, specs and features compared