Not for the faint-hearted: More CRPF jawans die of heart attacks than Naxal attacks
It’s not encounters and bullets but heart ailments that are taking the lives of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) serving in Naxal areas in the country. This shocking revelation came into light soon after Congress politician Motilal Vora had sought information on the number of CRPF personnel killed in Naxal-infested areas between January 2009 and December 2014 and the measures the government plans to boost the morale of jawans working in such conditions.
As per a news report by The Economic Times, Minister of state for home Haribhai Chaudhary has revealed the statistics. Mentioning 323 jawans were killed in various Naxalite attacks, he added that 108 died on account of malaria, 642 after a heart attack and 228 were cases of depression-driven suicide.
Chaudhary has said leave applications submitted by CRPF personnel were disposed of within a stipulated period, field officers were instructed to encourage their men to open up about their problems and grievances, and infrastructure was set up to provide for recreational activities.
He said a welfare and rehabilitation board was also established. Chaudhary said the condition of 10 years' qualifying service was removed for award of pension and lump sum ex-gratia compensation was extended to disabled personnel besides the regular ex-gratia compensation given to families of martyred personnel. He said that under the Prime Minister's scholarship scheme, a scholarship of Rs 2,000 per month for boys and Rs 2,250 for girls is released to the wards of former CRPF personnel and in-service personnel for the purpose of professional degree courses.
(Image: India Times)
Popular on BI
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cisco says a company 'leader' who encouraged TikTok followers to report strippers to the IRS is no longer employed at the company
- A half-mile installation just took 20,000 pounds of plastic out of the Pacific - proof that ocean garbage can be cleaned
- G7 leaders favour CBDCs provided they ‘support and do no harm’ to central banks
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons