Ola onboards 3 more cities in the UK, uses tuk-tuks only for promotion
- Indian ride-hailing unicorn Ola has expanded its operations in the UK.
- Ola is now present in 7 cities in the UK.
- The company is not launching auto-rickshaws in the UK, had only used them in Liverpool for a promotional campaign last week.
AdvertisementIndian cab aggregator Ola has expanded its operations in the United Kingdom and has launched services in three new cities in the UK – Liverpool, Birmingham and Reading. This takes Ola’s presence to a total of seven cities in the UK.
Local councils in the UK have granted the platform with Taxi and Private Hire licenses. The company said that Ola is the only app in the UK that offers both black cabs and Private Hire Vehicles while also giving drivers highest share of the revenue – charging just 10% commission to black cabs and 15% to PHVs.
“Thanks to the positive word-of-mouth from both driver-partners and passengers who experienced our offerings in Cardiff, Bristol, Bath, and Exeter, we received requests from users across the UK to introduce the Ola platform in their cities,” said Ben Legg, Managing Director of
Photos of Ola’s tuk tuks spotted Liverpool had become a talking point in social media. However, the company said that it has not launched auto rickshaws in the UK. The auto rickshaws were a part of the promotional campaign where it offered customers free rides on green tuk-tuks last week.
Over the next seven months, Ola plans to expand its operations to North England and the Midlands.
The Indian ride-hailing unicorn had already made its presence felt in Australia and New Zealand before moving to the European markets.
Ola will race Zoomcar in self-drive car rentals with a $500 million bet
Ola gets fresh funds to take on Mahindra’s Glyd – where’s Uber?
Popular on BI
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala