One of the largest satellite TV providers in India is serving customers Netflix and Prime Video
Tata Skywill soon launch new set-top boxes with integrated Over The Top (OTT) services like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hotstar.
- Tata Sky CEO Harit
Nagpalbelieves the Indian market won’t abandon cable completely if such hybrid devices are made available.
- The new set-top box will be in direct competition with Airtel Internet TV.
However, how exactly the integration will work was not shared. As with previous Tata Sky set-top boxes, the upgrade probably won’t be free.
There’s been a lot of talk about how the cable industry would survive the onslaught on online content but Nagpal believes that the cable television in India doesn’t face much competition from Over The Top (OTT) services.
The cheaper prices keep people from switching over to OTT services like Netflix. He hopes that the marriage between the two platforms will also help in that regard, especially since their hybrid device, the new set-top box, will provide more options than watching conventional TV channels.
The increase in internet speeds and accessibility played big roles in the popularity of OTT services in India.
Not the first
Tata Sky won’t be the first cable company to embark on such an endeavour. Airtel had, in April 2017, launched their Airtel Internet TV which streams digital content alongside conventional TV channels. It was the first set-top device in India to run on Android.
Users need their own subscriptions to the OTT services but Airtel allows direct streaming from Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, Alt Balaji and YouTube. It basically gives you the ability to switch between the conventional
Speaking of basic Wi-Fi connectivity,
Either way, the innovative edge of Tata Sky will be defined not by providing OTT services on their platform, but by how they go about achieving such a feat.
Popular on BI
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- DOJ officials were alarmed by surveillance footage of the Mar-a-Lago room where classified info was being stored, report says
- Meet Judge Bruce Reinhart the magistrate who approved the FBI search warrant into Trump's Mar-a-Lago home receiving threats from MAGA supporters
- Diabetes drug effective in reducing severity in Covid patients: Study
- India Inc sees steepest decline in deal values: report
- All-India Consumer Price Index for agricultural, rural labourers rose in July
- 50% of companies planning job cuts amid economic downturn: Report
- Edtech startup Sunstone raises $35 mn in funding round led by WestBridge Capital