Only One Wall Street Economist Expects Mexico To Cut Rates Friday
He's the lone wolf on this one. While most other economists think the central bank will keep interest rates at 3%, where they've been since a 50 basis point rate cut in June, Marco Oviedo, who previously worked as chief economic adviser for the staff of President Felipe Calderon, is forecasting that rates will decrease to 2.75% on Friday.
Barclays' latest weekly economic report included several reasons for the rate cut forecast:
Formal employment is up a bit and both IMEF surveys (Mexico's business surveys on manufacturing and non-manufacturing activities) are at their highest levels since April 2013. However, car production is down, as is retail consumption (5.2% in September from August). This suggests "that the external push could be getting softer while the domestic market might still be fragile." Further, a contraction in the services sector caused the Mexican GDP proxy, the IGAE index, to decline by 0.2% month-over-month in August.
In an interview with Business Insider, Oviedo explained that the services sector and consumption data led him to conclude that the Mexican economy isn't growing as quickly as many forecasts expected in the second half of the year.
"Even with the US growing at a very good pace, the economy [here] is not getting any better," he said. "Given that the Fed will maintain rates for a long period of time, Mexico has room to make another cut."
- Dr Pepper forced to give $100K prize to BOTH contestants after boos erupt following odd tie-breaker at SEC championship halftime contest
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- Sensex, Nifty50 open in the red amid negative global cues – TVS Motor, Adani Enterprises, HDFC among stocks to watch out for
- The science behind selling a dress to an Indian woman, according to the CEO of Latin Quarters
- All except three Indian sectoral indices have outperformed their US counterparts in 2022 so far
- Best bike helmet under ₹1000
- Best dinner set under ₹2000
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World