From Aamir Khan to Rajinikanth to Mohanlal-- all want Oscar nomination for this upcoming Indian movie
- Oththa Seruppu Size 7, directed by Parthiban, an upcoming Tamil movie, will be the first India solo act in mainstream cinema since 1964.
- The movie has already been selected for screening at the
Singapore South Asian International Film Festivalstarting August 30.
- Written, directed, produced and acted by the same person, Parthiban, a National Award Winner, this will be the 19th solo act movie in the world.
- The movie boasts of a starry supporting crew that includes Academy Award-winning sound designer for Slumdog Millionaire, Resul Pookutty, and the young and masterly music composer Santhosh Narayanan.
- Some of the country's biggest stars from Aamir Khan to Rajinikanth to Mohanlal are backing the movie for an Oscar nomination even before its release.
The movie has already been selected for the Singapore South Asian International Film Festival (SAIFF) starting August 30. ' Oththa Seruppu Size 7' -- meaning 'a single slipper of size 7'-- will be screened at the Suntec venue on the second day of the festival at 4:10 pm.
Watch India's biggest movie stars endorse Parthiban's '
National Award winner Radhakrishnan Parthiban has written, directed and produced the upcoming Tamil movie-- in the lines of Tom Hanks' 'Cast Away' (2000), 'All is Lost' (2013) starring Robert Redford, 'Buried' (2010) with Ryan Reynolds in the lead role-- making it the 19th solo act film in the world, according to the IMDb.
' Oththa Seruppu Size 7' is a non-linear tale of a middle-aged man Masilamani, a security guard at a popular sports and recreation club, who is being questioned as a murder suspect while his terminally ill young son waits outside the investigation room. Throughout the movie, Parthiban is the only actor seen on screen and the other characters are only voices that interact with him, as described by the SAIFF.
The movie boasts of an star-studded supporting crew that includes Academy Award-winning sound designer for 'Slumdog Millionaire', Resul Pookutty, and the young and masterly music composer Santhosh Narayanan who has charmed audiences with his earthy tunes that have played a big role in the success of some landmark feats in Indian cinema in recent years.
This is not India's first solo act in mainstream cinema
In 1964, Bollywood acting legend Sunil Dutt produced, directed, and acted in a soliloquy by the name ' Yaadein' that entered the Guinness Book of World Records. ' Yaadein' -- rated 7.3 in IMDb-- tells the story of a man who comes home to find that his wife and son are not at home. He assumes that they have left him and, in his loneliness, regrets his past indiscretions.
Parthiban's career has been full of experiments
AdvertisementThe 61-year old Parthiban has spent over three decades in the Tamil film industry starting out as a personal assistant to director K Bhagyaraj and then went to be an assistant director before venturing out as a director, actor, and a producer himself in the late 1980s and 1990s. He has worked in 60 films in different capacities and directed 10 films.
' Puthiya Pathai' ( IMDb rating 6.8), his directorial debut-- the story of a rapist who gets reformed by his own victim-- won two National Awards and was remade in Kannada and Hindi (Benaam Badsha in 1991).
His 1999 film 'House Full'-- the story of how the police tries to diffuse a bomb inside a movie hall without letting the audience know-- also won a National Award. ' Oththa Seruppu Size 7' will be his most ambitious venture so far.
Watchlist: 13 Reasons Why season 3, American Factory and every other show you can binge
Popular on BI
- Facebook and Microsoft aren’t the only ones creating a metaverse — here are five popular coins looking to create digital worlds
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Jio hikes prices of its plans by 21%
- Facebook, Microsoft and others look towards the $1 trillion dollar ‘metaverse’ opportunity — but that contradicts the base philosophy behind Web 3.0
- Meet Parag Agrawal, the IIT Bombay grad who is taking over from Jack Dorsey at Twitter
- Bankrupt Sintex Industries' stock doubles after RIL showed interest to acquire it
- Omicron COVID-19: Kerala orders 7 days quarantine for arrivals from high risk countries
- In India, less than one in every 10,000 jabs have led to serious adverse reactions — not necessarily due to the vaccine
- After taking us on a nostalgia trip by featuring 90s stars like Rahul Dravid and Jackie Shroff in its ads, CRED is back at it again, this time with Chacha Chaudhary and Suppandi