Over 1.21 billion people are enrolled in the world’s largest biometric identification system
The Indian government’s
According to the 2011 Census, this is what India’s population was at the time. According to official projections from the UIDAI, nearly 92% of India’s current population now has an Aadhar card.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOU
The data suggests that Indian residents who are still without Aadhaar cards are mostly children. Only 350,000 adults are estimated to be outside the Aadhar net, something that the UIDAI is looking to correct by ramping up its operations in lesser-connected parts of the country. like the Northeastern states. Once it onboards every adult, the government will start focusing on getting children enrolled in the programme.
Fastest to one billion
The Aadhar programme crossed one billion enrollments in April 2016, which reportedly made it the fastest digital programme to the world to reach that kind of scale.
This is largely because of the fact that the government had made it mandatory to register for an Aadhaar card in order to benefit from public welfare schemes. It also made it mandatory to link one’s Aadhar number with one’s PAN card, mobile phone and bank account, imposing a number of deadlines to do so in the process.
The programme’s image has been dented over concerns related to the the security of enrollees info and
Currently, around 10 million people enroll themselves in the programme or update their details every day. Furthermore, close to 13,000 Aadhaar enrollment centres have been established in India in conjunction with the country’s postal service, as compared to an envisioned figure of 14,200.
- Cyber security jobs: Big companies like Apple, Microsoft, Intel, TCS are hiring professionals
- SBI, Airtel, Adani Enterprises, TCS and other top stocks to watch out for on August 4
- Krsnaa Diagnostics IPO opens—here is all you need to know
- These are some of the highest paid founders of Indian startups tapping capital markets this year
- Exxaro Tiles IPO opens today—here’s how to apply for IPO, check allotment status, listing date and more