12 common, expensive things that aren't worth your money
Sean Gallup/Getty Images
- Whether you're overpaying for cellular data each month or choosing a large cable plan over streaming services, there are several ways you can cut costs and only pay for what you use and need.
- We spoke with several financial planners about common, expensive things that most people can do without.
Showing off lavish items is an undeniable aspect of American culture, but when it comes to making sound investments in expensive items, there are some purchases financial planners say you should likely exclude from your budget.
Several expensive items are becoming obsolete solely based on the age of their potential consumers. Millennials are opting for streaming services instead of cable packages with hundreds of channels that will never be watched, for instance. Other packages including unlimited data plans are also not worth the money, according to one expert we spoke to.
Before making an expensive purchase, ask yourself if you can find a cheaper product that will bring as much joy, Jeremy Straub, CEO of Coastal Wealth, told Business Insider. He said that while asking for joy from a product may be cheesy, it could help you think of a big purchase differently.
Another question to ask yourself, Straub said, is: "Could I use this money on an experience that would last a lifetime?"
Business Insider spoke with several financial planners over email about common, expensive things that most people can do without. Take a look at the 12 items they say aren't worth the money.
Unlimited data plans
Name brand everything
Cable TV plans
A dozen roses on Valentine's Day
Self-charging robot vacuums
Overpriced steakhouse dinners
Loans to family members
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- Microsoft President Brad Smith reportedly told Bill Gates more than a decade ago to stop emailing female employees
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max vs M1: Here’s what Apple improved with its new custom chips
- IRCTC crosses ₹1 lakh crore in market cap for the first time as investors adore its monopoly
- We aim to be the YouTube of podcasters and scale up 20X in the next 12 months: Sandeep Lodha, Gaana
- Sensex surges by 400 points to soar past 62,000-mark; Nifty opens at fresh record — L&T, Tech Mahindra, HCL Tech, HUL, Axis Bank and Bharti Airtel top gainers
- AirPods 3 vs AirPods 2: What’s new in Apple’s latest earbuds?
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons