Russia's economy is 'imploding' as exports to the sanctioned country plummet, economists say
- Experts say Russia's economy is "imploding" as exports to the sanctioned country fall.
- Exports from 20 countries to Russia were down -50% from the same time a year prior.
Russia's economy is collapsing as exports to the sanctioned country plummet in the face of President Vladimir Putin's ongoing, unprovoked war in Ukraine, trade experts suggest.
The "economy is imploding. We forecast a GDP collapse of -30% by end-2022," said Robin Brooks, chief economist at the Institute of International Finance trade group, in a Sunday tweet.
Brooks added that according to data compiled with help from IIF researcher Jonathan Pingle, exports from 20 countries to Russia were down 50% in April compared to the same time a year prior.
—Robin Brooks (@RobinBrooksIIF) May 22, 2022
Monthly exports from Russia to other countries, however, were up 64% in April compared to the same time a year prior, Brooks said on Monday, as oil and gas sales become a bigger part of Moscow's revenue.
Brooks said the country's current account surpluses were "massive," meaning Russia was exporting far more than it was importing.
—Robin Brooks (@RobinBrooksIIF) May 23, 2022
Russia stopped publishing its trade data after invading Ukraine in late February, so Brooks said the data was compiled using 20 of the country's top trading partners.
According to the Observatory of Economic Complexity, top trading partners with Russia include China and Germany.
Since the invasion, European and Western countries have unveiled a slew of sanctions packages aimed at crippling Russia's economy.
Ukraine's government has routinely lobbied for harsher sanctions and had led a push to try and redirect European Union countries away from Russian gas and oil — a main source of Moscow's federal revenue.
- A college is removing its vending machines after a student discovered they were using facial-recognition technology
- 11 states pay more in federal taxes than they get back - here's how every state fares
- Steve Jobs once said the best managers are 'individual contributors' who aren't interested in managing people
- Sustainable Urban Planning
- Anant Ambani, Radhika Merchant's pre-wedding celebrations begin with 'anna seva'
- Upcoming smartphones launching in India in March 2024
- Reliance, Disney announce strategic JV, Nita Ambani to be chairperson
- Fuel your morning: Wholesome South Indian breakfast ideas for health