Russia's economy is 'imploding' as exports to the sanctioned country plummet, economists say
- Experts say Russia's economy is "imploding" as exports to the sanctioned country fall.
- Exports from 20 countries to Russia were down -50% from the same time a year prior.
Russia's economy is collapsing as exports to the sanctioned country plummet in the face of President Vladimir Putin's ongoing, unprovoked war in Ukraine, trade experts suggest.
The "economy is imploding. We forecast a GDP collapse of -30% by end-2022," said Robin Brooks, chief economist at the Institute of International Finance trade group, in a Sunday tweet.
Brooks added that according to data compiled with help from IIF researcher Jonathan Pingle, exports from 20 countries to Russia were down 50% in April compared to the same time a year prior.
—Robin Brooks (@RobinBrooksIIF) May 22, 2022
Monthly exports from Russia to other countries, however, were up 64% in April compared to the same time a year prior, Brooks said on Monday, as oil and gas sales become a bigger part of Moscow's revenue.
Brooks said the country's current account surpluses were "massive," meaning Russia was exporting far more than it was importing.
—Robin Brooks (@RobinBrooksIIF) May 23, 2022
Russia stopped publishing its trade data after invading Ukraine in late February, so Brooks said the data was compiled using 20 of the country's top trading partners.
According to the Observatory of Economic Complexity, top trading partners with Russia include China and Germany.
Since the invasion, European and Western countries have unveiled a slew of sanctions packages aimed at crippling Russia's economy.
Ukraine's government has routinely lobbied for harsher sanctions and had led a push to try and redirect European Union countries away from Russian gas and oil — a main source of Moscow's federal revenue.
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- Laid-off Google employees are turning to a Discord server with nearly 18,000 members for emotional support and financial advice
- WhatsApp rolls out ability to create avatars on iOS
- One in four users unaware of crypto cybercrime risks: Cybersecurity firm Kaspersky
- Telegram adds real-time message translation in its new update
- Global smartphone revenue fall by 9% in 2022: Counterpoint Research
- Ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf dies in Dubai: Pak media