The White House swings at McConnell for threatening to hold up bipartisan bill challenging China
- The White House swung at McConnell for holding up a bipartisan bill to meant to challenge China.
- A White House spokesperson accused McConnell of siding with "big pharma."
The White House assailed Senate Minority Leader
"Instead of spreading weak falsehoods and offering China a windfall at our expense if it means protecting big pharma's capacity to price gouge, Senator McConnell should work with us against the global challenge of
The White House also swung back against McConnell attacking Democrats for pursuing tax increases in their economic policy bill that is being assembled behind closed doors. They intend to pass the measure using the reconciliation process on their own without Republican support. But the maneuver requires all 50 Senate Democrats to coalesce behind the nascent spending plan.
A spokesperson for McConnell pointed Insider to McConnell's Monday Senate floor remarks.
"Party-line scheming is going to crowd that out," the Kentucky Republican said. "Our side cannot agree to frantically steamroll through bipartisan talks in order to meet an artificial timeline, so our Democrat colleagues can clear the decks to ram through a party-line tax hike."
So far, Senate Democrats have struck a deal with Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia on slashing the cost of prescription drugs in addition to imposing a new tax on some high-earners to strengthen Medicare. As Democrats made headway towards clinching a deal with Manchin, McConnell threatened to tank the bipartisan China bill, which would shore up federal spending on microchips among other initiatives.
But Manchin made it clear that he's not abandoning negotiations with Senate Majority Chuck Schumer due to McConnell's threat, comparing it to hostage-taking.
"I'm not walking away if anybody's gonna threaten me or hold me hostage if I can help the country," the conservative Democrat told reporters on Monday. "And if they want to play
- A Trump spokeswoman mocked Pete Buttigieg's military service in a Memorial Day weekend spat with Ron DeSantis
- Family stands to lose nearly $6,000 in airfare and hotel costs after they were bumped from an overbooked cruise ship
- Flyers are 'skiplagging' to try and save money on flight tickets. Airlines hate it.
- These are must to do activities in Shimla on your next visit
- ONGC to invest ₹1 lakh cr in energy transition, targets net-zero by 2038
- List of famous things to buy in Shimla
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- Screen-sharing and usernames on WhatsApp soon: All you need to know