The White House swings at McConnell for threatening to hold up bipartisan bill challenging China
- The White House swung at McConnell for holding up a bipartisan bill to meant to challenge China.
- A White House spokesperson accused McConnell of siding with "big pharma."
The White House assailed Senate Minority Leader
"Instead of spreading weak falsehoods and offering China a windfall at our expense if it means protecting big pharma's capacity to price gouge, Senator McConnell should work with us against the global challenge of
The White House also swung back against McConnell attacking Democrats for pursuing tax increases in their economic policy bill that is being assembled behind closed doors. They intend to pass the measure using the reconciliation process on their own without Republican support. But the maneuver requires all 50 Senate Democrats to coalesce behind the nascent spending plan.
A spokesperson for McConnell pointed Insider to McConnell's Monday Senate floor remarks.
"Party-line scheming is going to crowd that out," the Kentucky Republican said. "Our side cannot agree to frantically steamroll through bipartisan talks in order to meet an artificial timeline, so our Democrat colleagues can clear the decks to ram through a party-line tax hike."
So far, Senate Democrats have struck a deal with Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia on slashing the cost of prescription drugs in addition to imposing a new tax on some high-earners to strengthen Medicare. As Democrats made headway towards clinching a deal with Manchin, McConnell threatened to tank the bipartisan China bill, which would shore up federal spending on microchips among other initiatives.
But Manchin made it clear that he's not abandoning negotiations with Senate Majority Chuck Schumer due to McConnell's threat, comparing it to hostage-taking.
"I'm not walking away if anybody's gonna threaten me or hold me hostage if I can help the country," the conservative Democrat told reporters on Monday. "And if they want to play
- I've had the new iPhone 14 for 2 weeks. I should've listened to Steve Jobs' daughter because I now regret buying it.
- China tells state banks to prepare for a massive dollar dump and yuan buying spree as Beijing's prior interventions have failed to stem its currency's worst year since 1994
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- Infosys to lead IT sector’s Q2 show with 4% revenue growth, says Jefferies
- IISC joins hands with AIIMS Rishikesh to develop algorithm that can read brain scans to detect epilepsy
- Overlapping symptoms of dengue, Covid-19 confusing in many cases, say doctors
- Sterlite Technologies launches optical solution for 5G rollout
- NASA pushes back Artemis I Moon mission launch to November
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World