A 3-year-old in Indiana accidentally shot a man who was wanted for murder in another state, police say
- A 3-year-old in Indiana accidentally shot two people after getting ahold of a gun on Thursday.
- One of the victims, 23-year-old Trayshaun Smith, was wanted for murder in Illinois, police say.
A 3-year-old in Lafayette, Indiana shot tw0 people on Thursday. One of them was wanted on a murder charge in another, according to police.
The other was the boy's mother.
A spokesperson for the Lafayette Police Department told local TV news station WTHR that police responded to a local hospital around 8:30 p.m. on Sunday after someone called about two people with gunshot wounds.
One of the victims, 23-year-old Trayshaun Smith, was wanted in connection to a murder, WTHR reported. Police arrested Smith at the hospital after learning that he had a warrant out for his arrest in Illinois, according to the outlet.
Lt. Justin Hartman of the Lafayette Police Department told ABC News that the 3-year-old was able to access the gun on his own and fire one round that struck his mother and Smith. Both adults survived the shooting.
According to Hartman, the shooting occurred at an apartment complex in Lafayette and both adults were taken to Franciscan Health Lafayette East Hospital.
Smith's warrant for his murder charge originated in nearby Cook County, Illinois, according to ABC.
The Lafayette Police Department and the Markham Police Department in Cook County are working together on the case, according to the outlet.
The Markham Police Department and the Lafayette Police Department did not immediately return Insider's request for comment on Sunday.
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May