A 3-year-old in Indiana accidentally shot a man who was wanted for murder in another state, police say
- A 3-year-old in Indiana accidentally shot two people after getting ahold of a gun on Thursday.
- One of the victims, 23-year-old Trayshaun Smith, was wanted for murder in Illinois, police say.
The other was the boy's mother.
A spokesperson for the Lafayette Police Department told local TV news station WTHR that police responded to a local hospital around 8:30 p.m. on Sunday after someone called about two people with gunshot wounds.
One of the victims, 23-year-old Trayshaun Smith, was wanted in connection to a murder, WTHR reported. Police arrested Smith at the hospital after learning that he had a warrant out for his arrest in Illinois, according to the outlet.
Lt. Justin Hartman of the Lafayette Police Department told ABC News that the 3-year-old was able to access the gun on his own and fire one round that struck his mother and Smith. Both adults survived the shooting.
According to Hartman, the shooting occurred at an apartment complex in Lafayette and both adults were taken to Franciscan Health Lafayette East Hospital.
Smith's warrant for his murder charge originated in nearby Cook County, Illinois, according to ABC.
The Lafayette Police Department and the Markham Police Department in Cook County are working together on the case, according to the outlet.
The Markham Police Department and the Lafayette Police Department did not immediately return Insider's request for comment on Sunday.
- Culinary odyssey: Exploring Kochi's 10 famous cuisines
- Scientists have finally figured out what happened to the lost continent ‘Argoland’ that went missing 155 million years ago
- Revamp your health in 2024: 10 Essential food habits for a better life
- Consistent inflows push small-cap funds AUM past Rs 2 lakh cr mark in Nov
- Ola Electric aims to raise nearly Rs 5,800 cr via IPO, to file DRHP