Jordan Neely's family will file a wrongful death lawsuit against Daniel Penny
- Jordan Neely died after being put in a chokehold on an NYC subway train earlier this month.
- Daniel Penny, 24, was charged with manslaughter in Neely's death.
The family of Jordan Neely, a homeless man placed in a fatal chokehold on a New York City subway train earlier this month, is suing the man accused of killing him.
In a video widely distributed online, Penny, 24, was seen holding Neely, a Black man, in a chokehold. Witnesses said that Neely, 30, was yelling about hunger and thirst, and Penny then put him in the chokehold.
Penny turned himself in to police on May 12 to face a manslaughter charge in connection to the death of Neely. He is now out on $100,000 bail.
His attorney's raised more than $300,000 in funds on the Christian crowdfunding website GiveSendGo.
"Funds are being raised to pay Mr. Penny's legal fees incurred from any criminal charges filed and any future civil lawsuits that may arise, as well as expenses related to his defense," reads the donation page for Penny.
The attorneys also said additional funds will be donated to a mental health advocacy program in the city.
In an interview with the New York Post after his arrest, Penny said the incident "had nothing to do with race" and that he said he was not a white supremacist.
- Diamantaire Nirav Modi's solar power plant up for auction to salvage PNB dues
- India-Canada diplomatic row will not impact military ties: Canadian Army Vice Chief
- India permits 75,000 tonne non-basmati white rice exports to UAE
- WeWork India rejigs senior leadership to boost market presence
- Waheeda Rehman to cap glittering career with Dadasaheb Phalke Award