Bihar likely to get NDA government for the fourth term as it secures 122 seats— but Nitish Kumar-led JDU underperforms as compared to the BJP
- The Bihar Election 2020 may be the fourth consecutive win for the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) with 122 wins under its belt so far.
- Trends show that the biggest party in the state will be the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) of the opposing Grand Alliance, or Mahagathbandhan.
- Within the NDA, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been able to score more wins in comparison to its ally, the Nitish Kumar-led Janata Dal United (JDU).
Defying exit polls, the NDA is poised to form the next government in Bihar. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and Janata Dal United (JDU) alliance has now secured the required 122 seats to form the majority.
View all Offers
View all Offers
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Blue Haze, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
OnePlus Nord 2 5G (Gray Sierra, 8GB RAM, 128GB Storage) I Extra upto Rs.1000 off on Exchange₹ 29999Buy On
- 18% OFF
Redmi 9 (Carbon Black, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) | Extra INR 200 Amazon Pay Cashback | 2.3GHz Mediatek Helio G35 Octa core Processor₹ 8999₹ 10999Buy On
- 19% OFF
Redmi Note 10 (Aqua Green, 4GB RAM, 64GB Storage) -Amoled Dot Display | 48MP Sony Sensor IMX582 | Snapdragon 678 Processor₹ 12999₹ 15999Buy On
- 20% OFF
Redmi 9A (Nature Green, 2GB RAM, 32GB Storage) | 2GHz Octa-core Helio G25 Processor | 5000 mAh Battery₹ 6799₹ 8499Buy On
The Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD)-led Grand Alliance is lagging behind with 110 wins. Only three constituencies are left to report their final tally. And, in all three, the NDA is leading.
TOP VIDEOS FOR YOUThe Bharatiya Janata Party, in its part, has already declared victory even though the final results are still pending.
|National Democratic Alliance (NDA)||3||122||125|
|Grand Alliance (Mahagathbandhan)||0||110||110|
However, the credit for the NDA’s success does not fall with the Nitish Kumar-led Janata Dal United (JDU). The JDU only has 41 seats under its belt while its ally, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has won in 72 constituencies.
Overall, the NDA has around 121 confirmed wins under its belt and is leading in the four constituencies where the results are pending, versus the Grand Alliance’s 110 seats.
Should the NDA win the Bihar General Assembly Election this year, it will be their fourth round of being at the helm. The bigger question, however, will be whether Nitish Kumar will continue as Chief Minister even if BJP has more seats than the JDU.
Kumar was reportedly facing a massive anti-incumbency wave after being at the helm for nearly 15 minutes. However, he seems resolute in the fact that he will once again take up the post for the seventh time.
"Modi's image sailed us through," Kailash Vijayvargiya, a senior leader of the BJP, told NDTV. "By evening, we will decide on the issues of government formation and leadership."
AdvertisementThe game of alliances
In order to form a government in Bihar, a party needs 122 seats. However, the tally so far indicates that only a triangular contest will determine who ultimately comes to the helm — an alliance will invariably be required is no single party has been able to hit the magic number.
While most triangle politics leave little room for smaller parties to outperform, the left-leaning and Grand Alliance-aligned CPI (ML) was able to grab nine seats of its own.
Bihar Election Results 2020: NDA widens its lead while RJD remains the single largest party
Prime Minister Modi takes a dig at Pakistan and China during SCO summit — ‘attempts are being made to rake up bilateral issues’
Instagram down for over four hours— users complain of frozen timelines and likes
- Canon’s new patent hints at a telephoto lens attachment for smartphones under development
- Kerala-based ESAF Small Finance Bank looks to raise ₹998 crore through IPO
- Meet BeachBot, a beach rover that uses AI to remove cigarette butts from beaches
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: Best deals and offers on health and household products
- Odisha’s temple town Puri becomes first Indian city with drinkable tap water available throughout the day