Meet Draupadi Murmu — Modi government’s pick for upcoming Presidential elections
- The 64-year-old
Draupadi Murmuwill become the first tribal woman presidentin the history of India.
- BJP Parliament wanted the candidate from the northeast, a woman and from the Adivasi community.
- She was chosen out of 20 presidential candidates.
She may not only become the first tribal woman president of India but also the second woman president in the country’s history after Pratibha Patil who served as president from 2007-2012.
BJP President J.P Nadda, who announced the name of Draupadi Murmu as the NDA candidate for presidential elections, said that the BJP Parliamentary wanted the candidate should be from the northeast, a woman and from the Adivasi community. It will be the first time a tribal woman is contesting to take the highest post in the country.
The BJP Parliament chose her out of 20 presidential candidates.
The 64-year-old Murmu was the first-ever woman Governor of Jharkhand in 2015.
She hails from Odisha’s Mayurbhanj district and has been a BJP legislator twice in the Naveen Patnaik cabinet. She has experience in handling diverse ministries like transport, commerce, fisheries and animal husbandry in the Odisha government.
Her political career and educational background
Murmu started her political career as a councilor and later she became the Vice-Chairperson of the Rairangpur National Advisory Council or NAC. In 2013, she became a national executive member of the party's Scheduled Tribe Morcha in Odisha.
In 2007, the Odisha Legislative Assembly honored her with its Best MLA of the year award.
Former Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from Rairangpur, she held the assembly seat in 2009, the year when BJD ended ties with BJP ahead of state elections.
Born into a tribal family she had struggled with poverty in one of the underdeveloped districts. She completed her Bachelor’s degree in Arts from Ramadevi Women’s college in Bhubaneswar.
AdvertisementShe has also served as a junior assistant in the irrigation and power department in the Odisha government.
Rebel Sena MLAs arrive in Assam as Maharashtra political crisis continues
Meta will not take commission from creators on Instagram and Facebook until 2024
Popular on BI
- Air India passengers stranded in Siberia for 2 days were abandoned by the crew, had to sleep on the floor, and were only given bread and rice, relative says
- Foreign investors have been dumping vast amounts of Chinese assets, and putting money there will only get riskier
- As a mom, I know punishments don't work. Parents should be trying to find a connection instead.
- List of famous things to buy in Munnar
- Ads that sailed into the eye of a controversy
- India tops world ranking in digital payments, records 89.5 million transactions in 2022: MyGovIndia
- Will regulate AI and ensure it doesn't harm digital citizens: Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Road accident death rate has dropped in Kerala after AI cameras became operational: Transport Minister