Meet Draupadi Murmu — Modi government’s pick for upcoming Presidential elections
- The 64-year-old Draupadi
Murmuwill become the first tribal woman presidentin the history of India.
- BJP Parliament wanted the candidate from the northeast, a woman and from the Adivasi community.
- She was chosen out of 20 presidential candidates.
AdvertisementDraupadi Murmu will be the first woman tribal president of India if she wins against
She may not only become the first tribal woman president of India but also the second woman president in the country’s history after Pratibha Patil who served as president from 2007-2012.
BJP President J.P Nadda, who announced the name of
The BJP Parliament chose her out of 20 presidential candidates.
The 64-year-old Murmu was the first-ever woman Governor of Jharkhand in 2015.
She hails from Odisha’s Mayurbhanj district and has been a BJP legislator twice in the Naveen Patnaik cabinet. She has experience in handling diverse ministries like transport, commerce, fisheries and animal husbandry in the Odisha government.
Her political career and educational background
Murmu started her political career as a councilor and later she became the Vice-Chairperson of the Rairangpur National Advisory Council or NAC. In 2013, she became a national executive member of the party's Scheduled Tribe Morcha in Odisha.
In 2007, the Odisha Legislative Assembly honored her with its Best MLA of the year award.
Former Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) from Rairangpur, she held the assembly seat in 2009, the year when BJD ended ties with BJP ahead of state elections.
Born into a tribal family she had struggled with poverty in one of the underdeveloped districts. She completed her Bachelor’s degree in Arts from Ramadevi Women’s college in Bhubaneswar.
AdvertisementShe has also served as a junior assistant in the irrigation and power department in the Odisha government.
Rebel Sena MLAs arrive in Assam as Maharashtra political crisis continues
Meta will not take commission from creators on Instagram and Facebook until 2024
Popular on BI
- Four-days work week, full and final settlement within 2 days of exit — new changes at workplaces to reflect from July 1
- New Maruti Suzuki Brezza launched at ₹7.99 Lakh — check features, specifications
- GST rates raised again, take out your cheque books. Wait, that’s taxed too
- Eknath Shinde to be the new Chief Minister of Maharashtra
- Lenskart acquires majority stake in Japanese eyewear brand for $400 million