Donald Trump berates Apple CEO Tim Cook for removing the iPhone home button
- Donald Trump has attacked Apple CEO Tim Cook for removing the iPhone home button, which was removed in new models starting in 2017.
- He tweeted: "To Tim: The Button on the IPhone was FAR better than the Swipe!"
- Yes, you read that right.
- It's not clear why Trump is bringing this up now.
Donald Trump has launched a fresh feud against Apple CEO Tim Cook over an unusual topic: iPhone design.
On Friday afternoon, the US president fired off a tweet that slammed the technology executive over Apple's decision in 2017 to ditch the physical home button on the front of new models of iPhone.
Trump wrote: "To Tim: The Button on the IPhone was FAR better than the Swipe!"
Since the first model in 2007, iPhones made use of a physical "home button" that took users back to the home screen. But a decade after it first came out, the 2017-edition iPhone X became the first to eschew the button in favour of swipe controls that required users to slide their fingers across the screen in various gestures.
It's not clear what prompted Trump to call out Apple's 58-year-old chief executive about the change now, more than two years after it was first implemented, and a White House spokesperson did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment. But the reality TV star-turned-politician has been vocal about smartphone design in the past.
Throughout 2013 and 2014, Trump tweeted numerous times about his belief Apple should introduce a larger-screened iPhone - something the company did ultimately do, starting with the iPhone 6 Plus.
An Apple spokesperson did not immediately respond to Business Insider's request for comment.
To Tim: The Button on the IPhone was FAR better than the Swipe!- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 25, 2019
@iPhoneTeam Better get a large screen iPhone, and fast, or risk losing even more business. Samsung cannot believe you have not acted! DUMB!- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 19, 2013
I cannot believe that Apple didn't come out with a larger screen IPhone. Samsung is stealing their business. STEVE JOBS IS SPINNING IN GRAVE- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 19, 2013
I wonder if Apple is upset with me for hounding them to produce a large screen iPhone. I hear they will be doing it soon-long overdue.- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) March 24, 2014
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Fresh threats to Mukesh Ambani and family, Reliance Foundation hospital
- Will consider Kerala govt proposal for World Peace Conference: Nobel Peace Centre
- Seven dead, several others feared missing following flash floods in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district
- OPEC+ to cut oil output by 2 million bpd from November
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World