Age no bar, elections baar baar: 91 year old galloping horse ready to contest Karnataka state polls
- India’s oldest sitting legislator,
Shamanuru Shivashankarappa, is contesting from Davangere South.
- The nonagenarian is known to be a heavyweight in the politically strong
Lingayat communityof the state.
- Shivashankarappa who declared assets to the tune of ₹312 crore, is an eminent educationist.
AdvertisementThe grand old party, Indian National Congress is fielding India’s oldest sitting legislator, Shamanuru Shivashankarappa, as its candidate from Davangere South.
Though he walks with support, a confident and sharp Shivashankarappa calls himself a ‘galloping horse’. The five time MLA and former Lok Sabha member was not short of wit and wisdom, as he spoke to reporters who received the re-nomination.
Horses for races
Shivashankarappa claimed that he will win with the highest margin in the election. This state assembly election will be closely watched as Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will try and hold on to its only bastion in the South.
A Lingayat heavyweight
The nonagenarian is known to be a heavyweight in the politically strong Lingayat community of the state.
Who are lingayats?
They are followers of a sect of Hinduism called Lingayatism and are followers of Kannada reformer Basava, who reject temple worship. As many as 100 of 224 Karnataka constituencies are known to be lingayat bastions.
A businessman & millionaire
Shivashankarappa who declared assets to the tune of ₹312 crore, is an eminent educationist and is the chairman of the Bapuji Educational Association.
Sugar and movies
He also has interests in sugar distilleries, and has also produced a Kannada movie.
AdvertisementBringing back the former CM
The Congress party has recently brought in former CM Jagadish Shettar, a former BJP leader and another Lingayat community heavyweight, into its fold. Shivashankarappa has been key to bringing him in.
It’s all in the family
Shivashankarappa has seven children – three sons and four daughters. One of his sons Shamanur Mallikarjuna is also a politician and was MLA of Davanagere North.
Popular on BI
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May