The US has lost its crown as the world's biggest geopolitical power as China overtakes it in global diplomatic reach
Nicolas Asfouri/AFP/Getty Images
- As of 2019, China has a total of 276 diplomatic postings around the world, while the US has 273, according to a new report by the Lowy Institute think tank.
- This makes China the largest geopolitical power in the world, overtaking the US.
- It shows the rapid rise of China over the past decade.
- US foreign policy influence around the world has weakened under President Donald Trump, who has slashed funding for the State Department and struggled to fill key diplomatic roles.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
China has overtaken the US as the biggest diplomatic power in the world, a new report from the Lowy Institute think tank said.As of 2019, China has a total of 276 diplomatic posts around the world, compared to the US' 273. These posts include embassies, high commissions, consulates and consulates-general, permanent missions, and other representations in countries where there is no diplomatic relationship.
The US had 274 diplomatic postings in 2017, and 271 in 2016.
Greg Baker - Pool/Getty Images
Marie Yovanovitch, the former US ambassador to Ukraine, told House impeachment investigators earlier this month that the State Department was facing a "crisis."
The US risks being overtaken by China in terms of military and economic power as well. The Center of New American Security warned in June that China is developing advanced weapons at a rapid and secretive pace, and figuring out ways to disrupt US battlefield systems.China could also overtake the US as the world's biggest economy as soon as next year, Standard Chartered noted in January. The American economy could also become smaller than India's by 2030, the bank said.
These 10 countries have the most diplomatic posts around the world, according to the Lowy Institute:
- China - 276 posts
- United States - 273
- France - 267
- Japan - 247
- Russia - 242
- Turkey - 234
- Germany - 224
- Brazil - 222
- Spain - 215
- Italy - 209
- PM's visit to vaccine centres gets 'praise' from Congress
- Pollution, pandemic and pre-term birth
- Serum Institute of India threatens to seek ₹100 crore in damages from Chennai volunteer
- PM to interact with more teams of Covid-19 vaccine developers
- UP to have cold chain space for 1.23L litres of vaccine