The US has lost its crown as the world's biggest geopolitical power as China overtakes it in global diplomatic reach
Nicolas Asfouri/AFP/Getty Images
- As of 2019, China has a total of 276 diplomatic postings around the world, while the US has 273, according to a new report by the Lowy Institute think tank.
- This makes China the largest geopolitical power in the world, overtaking the US.
- It shows the rapid rise of China over the past decade.
- US foreign policy influence around the world has weakened under President Donald Trump, who has slashed funding for the State Department and struggled to fill key diplomatic roles.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
China has overtaken the US as the biggest diplomatic power in the world, a new report from the Lowy Institute think tank said.
As of 2019, China has a total of 276 diplomatic posts around the world, compared to the US' 273. These posts include embassies, high commissions, consulates and consulates-general, permanent missions, and other representations in countries where there is no diplomatic relationship.
The Lowy Institute's ranking is based on the number of diplomatic networks of 61 countries belonging to the G20, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, and in Asia. It also "indicates strengths and weaknesses in geographic coverage and geopolitical reach."
The 2019 ranking shows the rapid rise of China over the past decade. In 2017 it had 271 diplomatic posts around the world - three fewer than the US - and, in 2016, 263 posts, according to the think tank.
The US had 274 diplomatic postings in 2017, and 271 in 2016.
Greg Baker - Pool/Getty Images
US foreign policy influence globally has weakened in recent years under President Donald Trump's administration. Trump has slashed funding for the State Department and struggled to fill key diplomatic roles.
Marie Yovanovitch, the former US ambassador to Ukraine, told House impeachment investigators earlier this month that the State Department was facing a "crisis."
The US risks being overtaken by China in terms of military and economic power as well. The Center of New American Security warned in June that China is developing advanced weapons at a rapid and secretive pace, and figuring out ways to disrupt US battlefield systems.
China could also overtake the US as the world's biggest economy as soon as next year, Standard Chartered noted in January. The American economy could also become smaller than India's by 2030, the bank said.
These 10 countries have the most diplomatic posts around the world, according to the Lowy Institute:
- China - 276 posts
- United States - 273
- France - 267
- Japan - 247
- Russia - 242
- Turkey - 234
- Germany - 224
- Brazil - 222
- Spain - 215
- Italy - 209
- Billionaire investor Mark Mobius says he's been able to get his money out of China, but investing in the country is still a 'dilemma' amid national security laws
- The Carnival cruise passenger who went overboard and remains missing was on his first cruise and it became his 'happy place,' his fiancée said
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala