Trump's latest tweets on Syria show he has absolutely no plan to help the Kurds as Turkey boasts about killing over 100 of them
- Tweets from President Donald Trump on Thursday showed he has no plan to help Kurdish fighters facing a Turkish military incursion in Syria.
- "I say hit Turkey very hard financially & with sanctions if they don't play by the rules! I am watching closely," he said, with no specific plan of action indicated.
- Trump has been broadly criticized for a recent decision to pull US troops from northeast Syria, where Kurds are now facing the Turkish military operation.
- Meanwhile, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Thursday boasted that over 100 people had been killed in the operation so far.
- Turkey's military launched the operation into Syria on Wednesday.
President Donald Trump on Thursday continued to defend his decision to abandon the Kurds in northeast Syria in tweets that showed he has no specific plan to thwart the Turkish military operation pummeling Kurdish fighters who bore the brunt of the US-led campaign against ISIS.Trump also seemed to suggest that the Turkish assault was inevitable, though it only began after he pulled US troops from the region. Advertisement
He added: "I say hit Turkey very hard financially & with sanctions if they don't play by the rules! I am watching closely."
Trump's tweets came after Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan boasted that more than 100 people had been killed in the air and ground offensive in Syria so far. The military operation began on Wednesday.This article will continue to be updated.Advertisement
....the area and start a new war all over again. Turkey is a member of NATO. Others say STAY OUT, let the Kurds fight their own battles (even with our financial help). I say hit Turkey very hard financially & with sanctions if they don't play by the rules! I am watching closely.- Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 10, 2019
- Rajasthan records 3 more COVID19-related deaths; 236 new cases take tally to 7,536
- Woman dies of COVID-19 after birthday bash, 19 test positive
- 24 new COVID-19 cases in Himachal, tally 248
- Nearly 60pc cases admitted into CIRP still under resolution process: Report
- 1,002 new coronavirus cases, 39 deaths reported in Mumbai