World on fire: All the protests happening around the globe right now
- Protests can be a powerful political tool for enacting change.
- Currently, protests are happening in places like Hong Kong, Cairo, Paris, and Moscow, to name a few.
- Despite each demonstration stemming from vastly different issues, many have common threads: citizens want to express their discontent with their current governments, from the "yellow vest" protests in Paris to Indonesian protests against a draconian criminal code.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Protests have long been a powerful political tool for enacting change and expressing discontent.
From the Civil Rights Movement's the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom to Indian independence, protests have left powerful marks upon the world. Historically, protests have served as an outlet for marginalized groups to articulate their frustrations - and make their demands known. One such example is New York's Stonewall riots, which kicked off the modern Pride movement and mainstream LGBTQ visibility.
Today, protests like last month's Global Climate Strike and Hong Kong's ongoing mass protests are calls for politicians to change their policies. The climate strike, for example, drew over 6 million protesters around the world, making it the biggest demonstration against climate change in history.
While protests have changed significantly with the rise of technology and social media, they're still powerful agents for change.
In an interview with WNYC's On The Media, technological sociologist Zeynep Tufekci said that modern protest has the "capacity for changing the narrative."
"The thing is, though in the past, you can think of the protest as an exclamation mark at the end of a long sentence, whereas right now it's just the first word in a potential sentence," Tufekci told WNYC.
Here are the protests currently happening around the world.
In Hong Kong, a new extradition law sparked protests back in June, but the conflict is escalating.
A criminal code in Indonesia has led to protests against its draconian laws.
3In the Netherlands, thousands of Dutch farmers clogged highways with their tractors.
Several protests are ongoing in France, including demonstrations by Paris police officers.
In Russia, thousands gathered to demand the release of protesters who were arrested on charges of rioting.
Peruvians protested the confusion surrounding President Vizcarra’s government in the streets of Lima.
Protesters in Haiti called for the resignation of President Jovenel Moïse.
Egypt saw another wave of protests calling for the resignation of authoritarian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi.
Lebanon is experiencing protests due to its slowing economy.
Syria's Kurdish population is protesting their exclusion from a UN committee.
Protests erupted in Iraq against Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi's government.
In Jerusalem, Palestinians protested the hospitalization of a Palestinian detainee accused of killing an Israeli teenager.
UAW workers have been on strike for two weeks in the United States.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max vs M1: Here’s what Apple improved with its new custom chips
- Best gaming mouse for battle royale games in India
- Best tablets for professional use in India
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons