Biden says it is 'probably premature' to lift mask mandates as Democratic states break with CDC to do so
Joe Bidensaid it was "probably premature" for states to lift mask mandates.
- A number of Democratic states have plans to do so, though the CDC still recommends mask wearing.
President Joe Biden said on Thursday that states' decisions to lift mask mandates were "probably premature."
Biden was asked in an interview with NBC News whether governors ditching indoor mask mandates are correct. He replied: "The
He later added: "I committed that I would follow the science, the science as put forward by the CDC and the federal people. I think it's probably premature but it's a tough call."
Democratic governors in multiple states have recently announced that they are relaxing mask mandates, even though the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention still recommends that people wear them in many indoor situations.
Biden noted that most states were not relaxing the rules immediately, but announced plans to do so in the next few weeks.
"I assume it has something to do with whether the Omicron variant continues to dive," he said, suggesting governors could change their minds if cases soar.
- A Google employee of 11 years says he and his wife stared at each other in 'disbelief' when they realized they'd both been laid off by the company
- A Google engineer of 8 years says his 'spidey-senses' detected incoming layoffs — and felt 'isolated' when his 'faceless' severance email arrived
- 6 signs that you're in a one-sided relationship and how to find balance
- Finance Ministry to stick to privatisation of already announced CPSEs next fiscal
- 70-plus Indian startups show exit door to 21K techies, more pink slips coming
- Steps taken in subsidence-hit Joshimath inadequate, declare Himalayas eco-sensitive zone, say experts
- An app that wants to turn fear of stock markets into fun raises ₹75 lakh from sharks
- Google may release Pixel Tablet Pro with Tensor G2 chip