Biden warns gas prices could rise as the US sanctions Russia, saying 'defending freedom will have costs'
Bidenwarned Americans that domestic gas prices could rise amid new sanctions on Russia.
- "Defending freedom will have costs for us as well, and here at home," Biden said.
President Joe Biden warned Americans that domestic gas prices could rise as the US launched a slew of sanctions against Russia.
As he addressed the nation from the White House on Tuesday, Biden said his administration is using every "tool at our disposal" to protect American businesses and consumers from rising gas prices.
"Defending freedom will have cost for us as well, and here at home," Biden said. "We need to be honest about that."
But, the president said, "I'm going to take robust action to make sure the pain of our sanctions is targeted at [the] Russian economy, not ours."
He said the administration is "closely monitoring" energy supplies for any disruption.
"This will blunt gas prices. I want to limit the pain the American people are feeling at the gas pump," Biden said.
The Russian economy is heavily dependent on oil and gas exports. It is the world's third largest oil producer and is one of the leading sources of oil and gas for Europe, according to the US Energy Information Administration.
Biden announced sweeping sanctions as a result of a series of recent escalations from Russia against
The sanctions target two large Russian financial institutions, Russian elites and their family members, and the country's sovereign debt — cutting off the government from Western financing.
Biden's remarks come after European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the organization is working to finalize a sanctions package.
This story is developing. Please check back for updates.
- 'Quiet quitting' is a bad idea, experts say. Here are 6 things you can do instead to get the same results if you're looking for better work-life balance – or to lighten your workload
- This pioneering regional OTT has turned profitable in 5 years – here’s how
- A man's cancer vanished after he was injected with a weakened herpes virus in a promising clinical trial
- Fresh threats to Mukesh Ambani and family, Reliance Foundation hospital
- Will consider Kerala govt proposal for World Peace Conference: Nobel Peace Centre
- Seven dead, several others feared missing following flash floods in West Bengal's Jalpaiguri district
- OPEC+ to cut oil output by 2 million bpd from November
- India Inc's foreign commercial borrowings rise by 4.6% in August
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World