DeSantis' campaign bragged its Twitter launch 'broke the internet.' These 9 online events were much bigger — and didn't glitch.
- Ron DeSantis launched his 2024 campaign for president on Wednesday in a glitchy Twitter Space.
- His campaign bragged they "broke the internet" and others said it was the largest online event ever.
On Wednesday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis officially launched his 2024 campaign for the GOP presidential nomination.
But the streamed launch event, hosted by Elon Musk and tech entrepreneur David Sacks on Twitter Spaces, was plagued by technical difficulties. Audio cut out, Spaces crashed, and the stream faced repeated glitches that prompted DeSantis' campaign to abruptly end and restart the stream nearly half an hour later.
At its peak, roughly 600,000 people were in the Twitter Space. But by the time the launch restarted, that number was down over half.
"I think you broke the internet there," Sacks said, later calling it "by far the biggest room ever held on social media."
It wasn't. Here are 9 online events that were bigger than DeSantis' 2024 campaign launch — and didn't glitch out:
- The 2023 PlayStation Showcase held on the same day as DeSantis' campaign launch peaked at over 2.5 million viewers.
- Buzzfeed's 2016 livestream of two people putting rubber bands on a watermelon until it exploded had more than 800,000 viewers on Facebook Live.
- April the Giraffe giving birth in 2017 drew in more than 1.2 million live viewers at its peak on YouTube.
- K-pop group BTS set a Guinness World Record for a livestreamed concert in 2020, amassing 756,000 attendees at once.
- Almost 30 million players attended Travis Scott's in-game Fornite concert in 2020.
- And before that, 10 million people watched Marshmello's Fornite concert in 2019.
- Over 400,000 players simultaneously tuned in to watch NY Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez play Among Us on Twitch in 2020, more than those who heard DeSantis' announcement.
- Rapper Tekashi 6ix9ine's Instagram Live after being released from prison in 2020 had 2 million viewers.
- Soccer star Christiano Ronaldo garnered over 700,000 viewers in an apparently accidental 2022 Instagram Live while chilling in a sauna.
- Elizabeth Holmes ordered dinners for Theranos staff but made sure they weren't delivered until after 8 p.m. so they worked late: book
- The CEO of software giant Intuit, which has avoided mass layoffs, says tech firms axed jobs because they misread the pandemic
- Elon Musk told Chinese Tesla workers in a late night speech that their hard work 'warms my heart' — 6 weeks after some complained about bonus cuts
- Major train accidents that India witnessed in last 15 years
- Odisha rail crash: Rescuers try to raise buried coach, death toll at 238
- Largest road networks in the world – India beats China to take the second spot
- Manoj Bajpayee joins the league of on-screen lawyers like Pankaj Tripathi, Shriya Pilgaonkar & more
- List of famous things to buy in Lonavala