Former Trump campaign advisor says ex-president wants 'someone cut from the same cloth' as his 2024 running mate
- Trump wants a VP running mate with more similarities to himself as he looks to 2024, per an ex-advisor.
- "Trump's going to be looking for someone cut from the same cloth he is," Michael Caputo told the AP.
In 2016, Donald Trump tapped then-Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his vice presidential running mate in what was seen as a shrewd move to bring on a Republican both trusted by grassroots conservatives and who had experience in state and federal government.
But seven years later, the former president — who is running for the Republican presidential nomination for a third time — is prioritizing a vice presidential nominee who is more similar to himself as he considers 2024 running mates, former Trump aide Michael Caputo told The Associated Press.
Trump, who has continued to rail against the 2020 presidential election and Pence's role in certifying now-President Joe Biden's victory, seems to be searching for a No. 2 that is perhaps more loyal.
Trump isn't pushing to make any major decisions yet, but he has considered a few potential options and has shown an interest in selecting a female running mate, the AP reported.
Caputo, a former assistant secretary for US Department of Health and Human Services, told the news outlet he felt that Rep. Elise Stefanik, the chair of the House Republican Conference, would be his top pick.
"I think the president learned a lot from his experience with Pence," Caputo, who was a 2016 presidential campaign advisor for Trump, told the news outlet. "I think this time Trump's going to be looking for someone cut from the same cloth he is, not from a different, complementary cloth."
While Trump is now the frontrunner for the GOP nomination, the race is still in its earliest stages. The former president's only other declared opponents are former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley and businessman Vivek Ramaswamy.
Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, the only other Republican who now threatens Trump's dominance in the nomination contest, has not yet officially announced whether he'll pursue a 2024 presidential campaign.
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- A second giant 'hole' has appeared on the sun, and it could send 1.8 million mph solar winds towards Earth
- We used ChatGPT to plan international trips - here’s a tour of the results!
- Rising interest rates hitting you hard? Here’s how to ensure your home loan is paid off before retirement
- Moto G13 vs Realme C55 – price, specs, and features compared
- Sebi to boost disclosure norms; do away with permanent board seats for individuals
- Here are the ten big income tax rule changes that will come into effect from April 1
- Not just for OTT, people rely on digital to discover & engage with content across TV and movies: BCG-Meta Report