Kamala Harris says 'women will die' if Roe v. Wade is curtailed or overturned: 'It is not an extreme statement'
- Vice President
Kamala Harrissaid that "women will die" if Roe v. Wade is pared down or overturned.
- "I don't mean to sound alarmist, I mean this: Women will die," she told San Francisco Chronicle.
Vice President Kamala Harris said in an interview published on Sunday that "women will die" if the
While speaking with the San Francisco Chronicle, Harris said that threatening the established precedent would create dire situations for women seeking lifesaving procedures, as well as cause irreparable harm to women who might potentially turn to unsanctioned methods.
"I don't mean to sound alarmist, I mean this: Women will die," she said.
As the first female to assume the vice presidency in US history — as well as a former member of the Senate Judiciary Committee who attracted national attention for her sharp questioning of then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh during his confirmation hearings — Harris has been a staunch defender of women's
"I'm very concerned about it," Harris said of the potential for Roe to be pared down or reversed. "Women will die. In particular, women who don't have economic resources and can't then travel to places or somehow have access to safe reproductive health care, including abortion. And it is not an extreme statement, it is a fact."
Despite Harris' support of
"We have to see what the court does," she said in the interview.
The case that is being used to challenge Roe is the most urgent threat to abortion rights in nearly 30 years — with
In 2018, the Republican-controlled Mississippi legislature passed a
During oral arguments earlier this month, the court signaled that it could potentially uphold the Mississippi law, but the fate of Roe remains up in the air.
- Wild video shows Florida police officers wrangling a huge alligator in the middle of the street
- Elon Musk and more than 1,000 people sign an open letter calling for a pause on training AI systems more powerful than GPT-4
- What is an indictment? What it means for someone to be indicted by a grand jury and why Trump was charged
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge
- India exported military hardware worth ₹15,920 crore in 2022-23: Rajnath
- From Citadel to Ponniyin Selvan 2: a look at the shows & movies releasing in April