Liz Cheney says Trump hasn't shown any remorse for January 6 riot: 'People must pay attention'
January 6committee plans to hold a public hearing next week.
Liz Cheneysays she thinks it will get people to pay attention to what happened.
GOP Rep. Liz Cheney said
Cheney told CBS' Robert Costa that the insurrection is an "ongoing threat."
"You know, we are not in a situation where former President Trump has expressed any sense of remorse about what happened," Cheney said. "We are in fact in a situation where he continues to use even more extreme language, frankly, than the language that caused the attack. And so, people must pay attention. People must watch, and they must understand how easily our democratic system can unravel if we don't defend it."
Cheney is one of just two Republicans on the January 6 House select committee. The committee plans to hold public hearings this month, with the first one scheduled for June 9. So far in their investigation, the committee has interviewed over 900 people, and issued dozens of subpoenas for cooperation into the investigation.
Cheney has also been a frequent target of Trump after she voted to impeach the former president for his role in the riot.
Trump has endorsed Harriet Hageman, a primary challenger against Cheney in Wyoming. He campaigned for Hageman at a rally last Saturday.
Cheney also said there's a cult mentality around Trump in the GOP.
"We have too many people now, in the Republican Party, who are not taking their responsibility seriously, and who have pledged their allegiance and loyalty to Donald Trump,"she told Costa.
Trump's office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- Indian startup founders celebrate Paytm’s success as company posts first operating profit
- Kim Jong Un abruptly reappears after 36 days out of the spotlight and orders North Korea to 'prepare for war'
- OpenAI makes a ChatGPT-like tool called Codex that can write software. Here's why Codex won't replace developers and will instead create more demand for their skills.
- Adani Power's Q3 profit plunges 96% to Rs 9 cr as expenses rise
- After an Ather 450X catches fire, the company says its battery is safe — fire was due to a wiring harness issue
- CCTV camera for home with mobile connectivity for 2023
- Best smartwatches under ₹3000
- Now, tourists from G20 countries will get to use UPI instead of cash in India