Lockheed is nearly doubling production of Javelin anti-tank missiles — which have proved devastating against Russian armor — to 4,000 a year, CEO says
Lockheed Martinwill nearly double production of Javelinmissiles to 4,000 a year, its CEO said.
- The defense firm currently makes 2,100 a year, James Taiclet told CBS's Face The Nation.
Lockheed Martin will nearly double the number of Javelin anti-tank missiles it produces, to 4,000 a year, CEO James Taiclet said Sunday.
"Right now our capacity is 2,100 Javelin missiles per year. We're endeavoring to take that up to 4,000 per year," he told CBS's Face The Nation.
Of late, the portable, self-guided missiles have been used to devastating effect by Ukrainian troops seeking to counter Russian armor. They've been credited with helping Ukraine halt a huge column of Russian tanks that was headed for Kyiv, Ukraine's capital, in the early weeks of the invasion.
Javelin missiles have formed a key component of US military aid to Ukraine since
Ukrainian officials estimated that the country was using up to 500 Javelin missiles per day in the early weeks of the war, CNN reported in March.
Taiclet said Sunday: "The threat between Russia and China is going to increase even after the Ukraine war. Those two nations and regionally, Iran, and North Korea are not going to get less active — probably they're going to get more active."
He said: "We can start turning up the heat now and ramping up production immediately. We're planning for the long run and not just in the Javelin."
Taiclet added it would take "a number of months, maybe even a couple of years" to get the company's supply chain to "crank up" to meet the company's production goals.
On Tuesday, President Biden visited Lockheed's facility in Alabama as part of efforts to push Congress to approve a further $33 billion aid package for Ukraine, which would include more than $20 billion in military assistance, Reuters reported.
US defence officials have expressed concern over the size of the Javelin missile stockpile. Missouri senator Roy Blunt told a Senate committee hearing on May 3 that the US had provided about one-third of its Javelin missiles to Ukraine.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- Rupee gains 18 paise to 81.08 against US dollar
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- 234-year-old company EID Parry is only a tad more valuable than year-old unicorn GlobalBees
- Here are the best apps and games on Google Play in India 2022
- Top 10 companies with the highest net profit in India as per Hurun 2022 list
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World