Marjorie Taylor Greene sent an urgent text to Mark Meadows during the Capitol riot asking him to 'please tell the President to calm people'
Marjorie Taylor Greenetexted Mark Meadowsduring the Capitol insurrection urging him to tell Trump to stop his supporters.
- "Please tell the President to calm people This isn't the way to solve anything," she texted Meadows, according to CNN.
Georgia Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene sent an urgent request to then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows as the
"Mark I was just told there is an active shooter on the first floor of the Capitol," she texted Meadows at 2:28 p.m. ET, according to CNN. "Please tell the President to calm people This isn't the way to solve anything."
Meadows didn't respond, CNN reported. Greene's text was part of a trove of previously unseen messages that Meadows turned over to the House select committee investigating the Capitol riot, which were obtained by CNN.
The Georgia congresswoman has spent the months since January 6 falsely claiming that the siege was carried out by antifa and Black Lives Matter activists.
She testified under oath last week that she thought the rioters were "Antifa dressed up as Trump supporters" because "that was the first thing we were told."
Greene's testimony came during an administrative hearing on Friday focusing on a longshot bid by a group of Georgia voters and liberal activists to disqualify Greene from running for reelection. In petitioning for Greene's removal from the ballot, the complainants pointed to a constitutional amendment that prohibits lawmakers from holding office if they participated in an insurrection.
Greene testified for three hours at the hearing, during which she recycled nonsense conspiracy theories about the 2020 election and the Capitol insurrection. She also claimed that she had "no knowledge" of any plot to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden's 2020 election victory.
"I don't know anything about that," she said.
When a lawyer asked her about a tweet from her account — which has since been suspended — amplifying plans for Trump supporters to protest Congress' certification, Greene replied, "I was asking people to come for a peaceful march, which is what everyone is entitled to do under their First Amendment."
"I was not asking them to actively engage in violence or any type of action," she added.
Greene wasn't the only Trump ally to appeal to Meadows as Trump's supporters stormed the Capitol after he urged them to "fight like hell" against Congress' certification of Biden's victory.
"Mark: he needs to stop this, now. Can I do anything to help?" Trump's former acting chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, texted Meadows, according to CNN.
The president's first chief of staff weighed in as well.
"TELL THEM TO GO HOME !!!" Reince Priebus texted Meadows.
Trump's eldest son, Donald Jr., also messaged Meadows during the riot.
"This his [sic] one you go to the mattresses on," he wrote, according to CNN. "They will try to fuck his entire legacy on this if it gets worse."
A number of Republican lawmakers also directly appealed to Meadows.
"The president needs to stop this ASAP," Rep. William Timmons of South Carolina wrote.
"We are doing it," Meadows replied.
And Rep. Barry Loudermilk warned that "it's really bad up here on the hill. They have breached the Capitol."
Meadows responded to Loudermilk, writing, "POTUS is engaging."
"Thanks," Loudermilk wrote back, per CNN. "This doesn't help our cause."
The House of Representatives impeached Trump for a second time in the days after the riot on a charge of incitement of insurrection. He was ultimately acquitted by the Senate and continues insisting that he won the election.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- The rally in stocks will trick investors into thinking the bear market is over, but there's still a case for the S&P 500 to fall another 26% next year, Morgan Stanley's Mike Wilson says
- Adani may be the richest Indian but Ambani’s RIL retains the top spot on Hurun's list of most valuable companies
- BCCI picks 3-member Cricket Advisory Committee that will kickstart process to select men’s national team
- 38 years on, 1.2 lakh Bhopal residents carry gas tragedy scars, fight for justice
- Telegram wants to allow users to store and trade cryptocurrencies
- Rupee gains 18 paise to 81.08 against US dollar
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- tata Consumer
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- VerSe Innovation Company
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World