NYC Mayor Eric Adams apologizes for referring to white NYPD officers as 'crackers' in a 2019 video
- A 2019 video of now-New York City Mayor
Eric Adamsusing the word "cracker" resurfaced.
- "Every day in the police department, I kicked those crackers' ass, man," Adams said in the video.
"Every day in the police department, I kicked those crackers' ass, man," Adams, who is a former NYPD captain, said a private event in December 2019. "I was unbelievable."
"Clearly, it's a comment that should not be used," Adams said on Friday. "I apologize; not only to those who heard it but to New Yorkers because they should expect more from me."
He added that a portion of his time in the NYPD was spent dealing with racism.
"My fight, you know, my fight in the police department was fighting racism throughout my entire journey and I was serious about fighting against that," he said.
The President of the Police Benevolent Association of the City of New York, Patrick J. Lynch, released a statement that said, "We have spent far too many hours together in hospital emergency rooms these past few weeks, and we've worked together for decades before that. A few seconds of video will not define our relationship."
Adam's office did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment.
- A laid-off Microsoft software engineer on an H1-B visa said she wonders 'where will I be living' with just 60 days to find a new job
- A Google engineer found out she had been laid off while she was on vacation when her boss sent her a LinkedIn message
- World's richest person Bernard Arnault's fortune has increased by more than $33 billion this year
- WhatsApp rolls out ability to create avatars on iOS
- One in four users unaware of crypto cybercrime risks: Cybersecurity firm Kaspersky
- Telegram adds real-time message translation in its new update
- Global smartphone revenue fall by 9% in 2022: Counterpoint Research
- Ex-military ruler Pervez Musharraf dies in Dubai: Pak media