Obama tests positive for COVID-19: 'Michelle and I are grateful to be vaccinated and boosted'
- Former President Barack Obama revealed on Sunday he tested positive for COVID-19.
- In a tweet, he said he "had a scratchy throat for a couple days."
Former President Barack Obama announced on Sunday that he has tested positive for COVID-19.
"I just tested positive for COVID. I've had a scratchy throat for a couple days, but am feeling fine otherwise. Michelle and I are grateful to be vaccinated and boosted, and she has tested negative," Obama said in a tweet.
"It's a reminder to get vaccinated if you haven't already, even as cases go down."
—Barack Obama (@BarackObama) March 13, 2022
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the risk for severe illness, hospitalization, or death from COVID-19 is "lower for many people but others remain at high risk." Experts have said a fourth COVID-19 booster shot may be beneficial.
Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said on Sunday it will be necessary to receive an additional booster shot in the future. "The protection that you are getting from the third, it is good enough, actually quite good for hospitalizations and deaths."
Studies have shown that three vaccines may be enough to protect against coronavirus variants for a long time. According to a New York Times report last month, an expert said they were seeing diminishing returns from additional doses.
Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel has said that the pandemic will be over by 2022, but those most vulnerable to COVID-19 might need a new type of booster in the fall, as Insider's Dr. Catherine Schuster-Bruce previously reported.
At least 965,000 Americans have been killed by the coronavirus, according to the latest data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. Since peaking in January, the number of new COVID-19 cases in the US has plummeted by more than 90%.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- With Rupay Credit Card on UPI, mobile payments pioneer Paytm deepens its leadership in UPI
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- Top 5 places to visit in Darjeeling
- Delhi Metro launches WhatsApp-based ticketing service on Airport Line
- Fintech unicorn Taxfix lays off 120 employees to cut costs
- Not found sufficient evidence to arrest Brij Bhushan: Delhi Police
- Best Agrolife's Revenue Crosses ₹1,700 Cr., EBITDA Margin Reaches 18%, and 30% Dividend Recommended in FY23