Russia claims Alexei Navalny's health is fine, while his doctors say he could die any minute
Russiadefended the health of jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
- His doctors say he's at risk of severe heart problems and could "die any minute."
- But the Kremlin dismissed the concerns, and the prison service said his health was "satisfactory."
Russia has said that jailed opposition leader Alexei Navalny's health is fine, despite his doctors saying that he could die at any moment.
Four doctors, including his personal physician, have said that he is at risk of severe heart problems amid his weekslong hunger strike, with one saying that he could "die any minute."
The Russian news agency TASS reported on Monday that the regional branch of Russia's prison service called Navalny's health "satisfactory," claiming that he is given vitamins and seen by a doctor every day.
Agence France-Presse reported on Monday that the Kremlin had dismissed concerns about Navalny's health, and said that the government was not monitoring his health.
Navalny has been on a hunger strike since March 31. He started it in protest over not getting adequate medical treatment in jail.
Navalny is serving a 2-1/2-year sentence after being found guilty of missing parole meetings. His lawyer said he missed the them because he was in Germany, recovering from being poisoned with the Novichok nerve agent. Navalny blames the poisoning on the Kremlin.
International pressure on Russia over Navalny's treatment has increased.
US President Joe Biden on Saturday criticized Navalny's treatment, calling it "totally, totally unfair" and "totally inappropriate." National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan also said Russia would face "consequences" if Navalny died.
- Meet the Indian-origin women CEOs who are leading the way for major global companies
- SuperRare NFT sells for more than $2 million — a 20,000-fold increase in value over three years
- Microsoft to skill 1 lakh Indians in cybersecurity by 2022
- Love procrastinating? It can help you earn Rs 1 lakh by applying for Chief Excuse Officer at Cultbike.fit
- Google and Microsoft hiring interns in India — Check out eligibility, job descriptions and other details