Trump endorses 'Never Trump guy' JD Vance, ignoring many Ohio Republicans who wanted him to pick a different candidate in a key Senate race
- Trump endorsed "Hillbilly Elegy" author
JD Vancein a closely contested Ohio GOP Senate race.
- The former president's backing comes despite a last-minute campaign to convince him to support someone else.
"With J.D. Vance, Ohio gets both brains and brawn. Ohio has been good to me, I won it twice, really BIG, and I have likewise been GREAT for Ohio. Let's keep it going!" Trump said in a statement.
As news of Trump's impending endorsement leaked, Ohio Republicans mounted a last-minute effort to get the former president to change his mind. Dozens of local GOP officials sent a letter to Trump, obtained by Politico, listing off the scorching anti-Trump comments Vance had made in the past.
"While we were working hard in Ohio to support you and Make America Great Again, JD Vance was actively working against your candidacy," the letter said, adding Vance did not support Trump in 2016 and saying "he referred to your supporters as 'racists.'"
As the letter pointed out, Vance was a frequent Trump critic. On CNN, Vance said that Trump's 2016 campaign was "actively antagonizing a lot of the Black voters." On Twitter, Vance later touted his support for independent candidate Evan McMullin in the general election. Or as Vance once put it to Charlie Rose, "I'm a Never Trump guy."
"Like some others, J.D. Vance may have said some not so great things about me in the past, but he gets it now, and I have seen that in spades," Trump said. "He is our best chance for victory in what could be a very tough race."
Vance said he was "incredibly honored" to have Trump's support.
"He was an incredible fighter for hard working Americans in the White House, he will be again, and I'll fight for the America First Agenda in the Senate," Vance wrote on Twitter.
Vance is involved in a hotly contested Republican Senate primary. Independent polling of the race has been sparse, but it shows Vance is far from running away with the nomination.
The most recent Fox News poll conducted in early March showed businessman Mike Gibbons (22%) and former state Treasurer Josh Madel (19%) locked in a virtual dead heat. Vance (11%) was either in third or fourth with a too close to call margin between him and former Ohio GOP chair Jane Timken (9%). Timken herself was within the margin of error of State Sen. Matt Dolan (7%). The poll had a plus/minus 3% margin of error.
Trump's decision to back Vance fits with a frequent trend of granting endorsements to candidates that are often outside the GOP establishment and may not have ever held elected office. Sometimes this works out well for the former president. Then-Rep. Ron DeSantis was not the legacy-favored GOP pick before Trump endorsed him. Now, DeSantis' star is so bright that he might even challenge Trump in 2024.
But other times, it has risked Trump's political brand.
This cycle the former president has already had to yank his backing from Rep. Mo Brooks, an Alabama Senate candidate who never caught fire after Trump's early endorsement. While the former president has rankled some Pennslyvania Republicans by endorsing Dr. Mehmet Oz. It doesn't help matters that Trump's first pick in the key Pennsylvania US Senate race, Sean Parnell, dropped out amid claims that he abused his estranged wife.
Trump takes his endorsements seriously and how his favored-picks fare will be a key storyline as the 2022 midterm elections unfold. Republicans are hopeful that they can retake Congress, but as Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has warned the GOP's past nomination of flawed candidates ultimately doomed their chances at the Senate majority in 2010 and 2012.
- Migration to other social media platforms shows no signs of slowing following Elon Musk's chaotic takeover at Twitter, report says
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Max Financial Services: Company worth ₹24,000 crore running with only 12 employees
- DroneAcharya AI IPO set to open next week on December 13; GMP at ₹25 per share
- Low pressure mounts over Andaman Sea, heavy rain expected to lash TN
- New Indian sustainable jet fuel technology could cut aviation emissions by 80%
- From digital shagun at a wedding to digital donation — unique use cases for Paytm go viral on social media
- Delhi HC seeks RBI stand on PIL seeking uniform banking code for foreign exchange transactions
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World