Trump lawyer accuses House managers of manipulating evidence by pointing to doctored tweets that weren't used in the impeachment trial
Trumplawyer David Schoenaccused House managers of manipulating evidence in the impeachment trial.
- Schoen said Friday that the managers "created false representation of tweets."
- However, the doctored tweets were never presented in the trial.
Donald Trump's lawyer David Schoen claimed on Friday that House
"There is significant reason to doubt the evidence the House managers have put before us," Schoen said during his defense of Trump in his second
Schoen specifically accused the Democratic managers of having "created false representation of tweets."
In his presentation, he displayed a photo in a New York Times article of lead impeachment manager Rep. Jamie Raskin looking at two tweets dated January 3, 2020 on a computer screen. One was a Trump retweet of a supporter writing that she will "PROUDLY stand beside" him on January 6. Another was a follow-up tweet from the same supporter, exclaiming: "We are bringing the Calvary Mr President."
But the House impeachment managers never presented the doctored tweets at the trial, which Schoen himself noted. Instead, they presented a screenshot of Trump's retweet, correctly dated January 3, 2021, which has since been taken down as his account is permanently suspended. They also showed the follow-up tweet with the same date.
"To be fair, the House managers caught this error before showing it on the Senate floor, so you never saw it when it was presented to you," Schoen said Friday.
Trump's defense lawyers are presenting their case on Friday that this impeachment trial is unconstitutional because Trump is no longer president, and that his speech shortly before the January 6 riot is protected under the First Amendment. Their arguments come after House impeachment managers have directly blamed Trump for his role in the riot and accused him of "incitement of insurrection."
- Paras Defence and Space Technologies IPO allotment is tomorrow, IPO was subscribed 304 times
- Bharat Bandh — Checkout what will be open and what will remain closed today
- PVR, Inox, Vodafone Idea, HDFC Bank and other top stocks to watch out for on September 27
- OfBusiness was the only woman led startup that entered the unicorn club this year
- Those who have held these stocks for a decade have only lost money