Trump says his GOP acceptance speech will take place at Gettysburg or the White House
Donald Trumpon Monday said his GOP acceptance speech will be held at either the White Houseor Gettysburg.
- Either location would be controversial, given both are historic, public sites and Trump's speech will be inherently partisan.
President Donald Trump on Monday said his Republican presidential nomination speech will take place at the White House or the Gettysburg battlefield in Pennsylvania.
"We have narrowed the Presidential Nomination Acceptance Speech, to be delivered on the final night of the Convention (Thursday), to two locations - The Great Battlefield of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and the White House, Washington, D.C. We will announce the decision soon!" Trump said in a tweet.
The GOP convention is scheduled to occur at the end of the month.
Trump in recent days has floated holding the speech at the White House, which would mark an unprecedented use of an iconic, public property for an inherently partisan event.
Gettysburg, the site of a national military park run by the National Park Service, would also be a controversial choice for similar reasons.
The Battle of Gettysburg was a turning point in the Civil War and widely considered by historians to be among the most important military engagements of the conflict. The battlefield is hallowed ground. It's estimated there were as many as 51,000 casualties in the three-day battle, making it the bloodiest engagement of the war.
Trump has spent a significant amount of time in recent weeks pushing against the movement to remove Confederate monuments and rename US military bases named after Confederate figures. In this context, it would be especially controversial for Trump to deliver a fundamentally political speech at perhaps the most well-known Civil War battlefield, where the Confederates suffered a devastating defeat that turned the tide of the bloodiest conflict in US history.
Gettysburg is also where President Abraham Lincoln delivered what is recognized as one of the most important speeches in US history — the Gettysburg Address. In his speech, Lincoln spoke of unity and expressed hope that America could live up to its founding ideals.
During a campaign rally in Gettysburg back in October 2016, Trump delivered divisive remarks to supporters in which he listed out numerous grievances, made unfounded claims that the political system was "rigged" against him, and suggested the results of the impending election (which Trump ultimately won) could not be trusted. Fast-forward to 2020, Trump is following a similar playbook and has repeatedly made unsubstantiated claims that mail-in voting will lead to widespread fraud, in what represents a blatant effort to undermine the legitimacy of the 2020 election.
The president is trailing former Vice President Joe Biden in the polls, and his approval rating has plummeted amid the Trump administration's disastrous handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Realme GT Neo 2 5G review: Great performance, fine display but camera needs work
- Cryptocurrency investment 101 — here’s how to do your own research (DYOR) and invest in the right digital asset
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- India's farmers protest takes a gruesome turn with a chilling murder at the scene — here’s the sequence of events
- Bizarre! Shubhman Gill was brought back to bat after being declared out
- Ruturaj Gaikwad and Faf du Plessis — amazing data on how the two openers led CSK to IPL 2021 championship
- Budget and safety top criteria for Chennai households during festive season:LocalCircles
- Electric bus makers on a roll as states like Maharashtra and Karnataka send in large orders
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Advantage Club Hiring
- Best Indian Companies
- Dussehra Messages
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- Nykaa IPO
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons