Report: Lyft is trying to raise $500 million in its fight against Uber
Kelly Sullivan/Getty Images
The company is reportedly quietly pitching the new funding round at a valuation between $6 to $7 billion, according to The Journal. Lyft declined to comment on the report.
Lyft needs the cash to continue to cut into market share and grow its business. The company flirted with selling over the summer, but decided to stay independent and stick out the fight with Uber.
But Uber has stumbled heading into 2017, and Lyft is seizing the moment to portray itself as the friendlier alternative.
It's lured customers to its service after more than 200,000 deleted Uber in a single weekend, and now it's trying to bring investor cash on board too. Uber, meanwhile, is facing a battle on all fronts as it tries to win back customers, its employees, and even its own investor base, which has started speaking out against the ride-hailing giant in the wake of a sexism scandal and investigation into its workplace.
Should Lyft close a new round of funding, the $500 million infusion would bring its total raised to $2.5 billion. Lyft's closest competitor, Uber, is currently valued at $69 billion after raising $11.5 billion.
- Xiaomi Pad 5 Review - Is it best Android alternate to iPad Air?
- Mayhem Studios announces a new battle royale game with locations, gangs and other elements depicting India
- Technique used to track ants’ movement might soon help scientists in measuring snow depth from space
- Three senior Twitter employees quit amid ongoing Musk-Agrawal internet war
- Indian CEOs could get the best salary hike in 5 years; and they already make ₹7 crore/yr on an average
- Delhivery IPO
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction