How Walmart keeps its prices so low
Rachel Askinasi/Business Insider
- Walmart is the world's largest retailer, operating stores in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and in 27 countries, serving up to 100 million customers weekly.
- Walmart is known for its low prices, which it has codified in its Every Day Low Price guarantee.
- Here are seven ways Walmart manages to keep its prices so low even while recently raising the wages it pays its workers.
Walmart stores are known for their massive size and their vast selection, but if there is one thing that defines the company, it is low prices.
Walmart is unabashedly proud of its low-cost merchandise, stating on its website that "Every Day Low Price (EDLP) is the cornerstone of our strategy, and our price focus has never been stronger."
While also long associated with low wages, the retailer has been working to better compensate its employees.
According to retail expert Bob Phibbs, the Retail Doctor, "[Walmart] made huge strides in the last two years by increasing their average wages, their training opportunities, and promotion opportunities within the organization."
Read more: Walmart is giving its workers a pay raise and a cash bonus of up to $1,000
That was welcome news to employees, more than a million of which are in the US. A robust Walmart is also good news for America generally: experts estimate that Walmart accounts for 2% of the US economy.
So how does Walmart manage to keep its prices so low even as it offers better compensation to employees?
Lack of competition
Low operations costs
Sheer volume of sales
Aggressive shoplifting prevention
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 leaks ahead of launch – specs, expected launch date and more
- JPMorgan Chase thought it had $1.3 million worth of nickel stored in a warehouse. A closer examination revealed bags of stones.
- Meet Rekha Rakesh Jhunjhunwala, the top Indian entrant in 2023 M3M Hurun Global Rich List
- Cyrus Poonawalla’s wealth grows as his health empire remains unlisted
- Adani Airports following investments as per plans submitted to govt: CEO
- Chinese leader Xi Jinping departs Russia but fails to achieve breakthrough in Ukraine conflict
- Healthcare, consumer goods minted the most Indian dollar billionaires