I went to Trader Joe's and the store that Whole Foods launched to compete with it - and it's clear who does it better
Jessica Tyler/Business Insider
- Whole Foods recently opened its seventh 365 grocery store. It's part of a new chain of budget-oriented grocery stores with a focus on the 365 Everyday Value private-label brand.
- The newest 365 store in Brooklyn, New York, competes directly with nearby Trader Joe's stores, with lower prices than Whole Foods and a similar selection of healthy foods.
- I went to a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods 365 to see which store was better - and the winner was clear.
Trader Joe's is known for its inexpensive and healthy products, and customers are willing to wait in sometimes outrageous lines to get their groceries.
Whole Foods, which is typically more expensive than Trader Joe's, has recently expanded its chain of millennial-friendly 365 stores to compete more directly with lower-priced grocers. Whole Foods 365 is more accessible and less expensive than a traditional Whole Foods store, and it places a special emphasis on its private-label 365 brand. The 365 stores feature in-store dining and seating areas, rewards programs, and a huge selection of products intended to set it apart from its competitors.
I went to a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods 365 in Brooklyn, New York, to see what it was like to buy groceries at each. This is what I found:
- GST Council meet: No new tax on food delivery apps Swiggy, Zomato
- SBI, Kotak Mahindra and others cut home loan rates ahead of festive season
- Virat Kohli's T20I journey as captain is better than Dhoni's
- Gen Z decoded: MTV's latest report reflects Gen Z’s behavior patterns,mindsets, habits and perceptions
- From ecommerce to payments — here are the top funded business models of last one year