I went to Trader Joe's and the store that Whole Foods launched to compete with it - and it's clear who does it better
Jessica Tyler/Business Insider
- Whole Foods recently opened its seventh 365 grocery store. It's part of a new chain of budget-oriented grocery stores with a focus on the 365 Everyday Value private-label brand.
- The newest 365 store in Brooklyn, New York, competes directly with nearby Trader Joe's stores, with lower prices than Whole Foods and a similar selection of healthy foods.
- I went to a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods 365 to see which store was better - and the winner was clear.
Trader Joe's is known for its inexpensive and healthy products, and customers are willing to wait in sometimes outrageous lines to get their groceries.
Whole Foods, which is typically more expensive than Trader Joe's, has recently expanded its chain of millennial-friendly 365 stores to compete more directly with lower-priced grocers. Whole Foods 365 is more accessible and less expensive than a traditional Whole Foods store, and it places a special emphasis on its private-label 365 brand. The 365 stores feature in-store dining and seating areas, rewards programs, and a huge selection of products intended to set it apart from its competitors.
I went to a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods 365 in Brooklyn, New York, to see what it was like to buy groceries at each. This is what I found:
- Coforge, Fortis Health record increased mutual fund holding in Q3, HDFC Bank declines
- Astronomers find planet that seems too humongous to be orbiting its parent star!
- Penguins employ thousands of microsleeps to achieve 11 hours' slumber daily!
- Ashok Gehlot: Magician leaves centre stage in Rajasthan
- Trauma made Abrar an 'Animal': Bobby Deol on his negative role