A teen who made $200,000 in sneaker sales last year reveals the top 5 models that consistently sell the best
- 17-year-old Purin Moungvang said he made around $200,000 in sneaker sales as a high school junior in 2019.
- The Beaverton, Oregon-based teen sells his merchandise through StockX and GOAT, and via his Instagram account @Purintheplug.
- Moungvang said there are certain shoes that he can always rely on to sell.
- He revealed his top five shoes that consistently sell the best.
- Read about how the teen reaches Gen Z buyers through TikTok here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Purin Moungvang might be young, but the 17-year-old knows more than a little bit about selling sneakers.
"I wanted to get an early head start," Moungvang said of his move to start reselling shoes when he was around 16 years old. After he noticed how large the profit margins could be on certain pairs of shoes, Moungvang decided to commit to getting better and better at the business.
He said he notched around $200,000 in sales in his first year of reselling as a high school junior in 2019, mostly through marketplaces like StockX and GOAT and via his Instagram account @Purintheplug.
He's just one of many teens who have figured out how to make it big in the sneaker resale market, which a recent Cowen & Co. analysis estimated could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025.
Since Moungvang is a teen, his clientele is generally on the younger side. He said he has even figured out how to reach Gen Z buyers through TikTok.
Moungvang said there are certain shoes that he can always rely on to sell well. He shared his list of the top five best-selling shoes that help make him the biggest profit. Here's what they were:
- OpenAI CEO Sam Altman is privately reassuring developers using the company's tech that it won't compete with them beyond ChatGPT
- Media mogul Martha Stewart isn't a fan of remote work: 'You can't possibly get everything done working three days a week in the office and two days remotely'
- My twin and I were in separate classrooms in school. Our joint math lesson made me realize how silly that was.
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Looking for a smartphone under ₹30,000? Here are our top picks
- Half of India’s ₹2,000 notes are back with banks within a month of withdrawal announcement
- Google rolls out new features to Meet's picture-in-picture mode in Chrome
- RBI allows banks to issue RuPay prepaid forex cards