A teen who made $200,000 in sneaker sales last year reveals the top 5 models that consistently sell the best
The high school student started selling sneakers when he was 16.
- 17-year-old Purin Moungvang said he made around $200,000 in sneaker sales as a high school junior in 2019.
- The Beaverton, Oregon-based teen sells his merchandise through StockX and GOAT, and via his Instagram account @Purintheplug.
- Moungvang said there are certain shoes that he can always rely on to sell.
- He revealed his top five shoes that consistently sell the best.
- Read about how the teen reaches Gen Z buyers through TikTok here.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Purin Moungvang might be young, but the 17-year-old knows more than a little bit about selling sneakers.
"I wanted to get an early head start," Moungvang said of his move to start reselling shoes when he was around 16 years old. After he noticed how large the profit margins could be on certain pairs of shoes, Moungvang decided to commit to getting better and better at the business.
He said he notched around $200,000 in sales in his first year of reselling as a high school junior in 2019, mostly through marketplaces like StockX and GOAT and via his Instagram account @Purintheplug.
He's just one of many teens who have figured out how to make it big in the sneaker resale market, which a recent Cowen & Co. analysis estimated could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025.
Since Moungvang is a teen, his clientele is generally on the younger side. He said he has even figured out how to reach Gen Z buyers through TikTok.
Moungvang said there are certain shoes that he can always rely on to sell well. He shared his list of the top five best-selling shoes that help make him the biggest profit. Here's what they were:
- Which countries are most affected by severe seismic activity? New earthquake metric provides fresh perspective
- Exicom Tele-Systems to raise ₹429 cr via IPO; sets price band at ₹135-142/share
- Kawasaki Ninja 500 sports bike launched in India at ₹5.24 lakh
- Vodafone Idea board to meet on Feb 27 to consider fundraising proposal
- Stocks rebound: Sensex jumps over 500 points, Nifty hits fresh high