Amazon is still selling Trump merchandise after Shopify took down the president's official campaign store
Amazonis offering hundreds of Trump-affiliated merchandise for sale as other tech firms suspend the president's accounts after Wednesday's US Capitol siege.
- Rioters dressed in "Make America Great Again" hats and waving "
Trump2020" flags violently broke into the US Capitol building. Four people died as a result of the violence.
- The company was not immediately available to comment on whether Amazon plans to limit the sale of Trump-affiliated products.
- E-commerce competitor
Shopifyremoved accounts affiliated with Trump, including his official campaign store, on Thursday.
Amazon is offering hundreds of President Donald Trump-affiliated items to purchase as other tech platforms suspended his accounts following the violent US Capitol siege.
Rioters dressed in "Make America Great Again" hats and waving "Trump 2020" flags violently broke into the US Capitol Wednesday afternoon. Four people died as a result of the violence, including one woman shot by US Capitol police.
Critics called on tech companies to remove Trump from social platforms for his role in inciting the violence. Shopify removed accounts affiliated with Trump, including his official campaign store.
"Shopify does not tolerate actions that incite violence," a Shopify spokesperson said in a statement to Insider. "Based on recent events, we have determined that the actions by President Donald J. Trump violate our Acceptable Use Policy."
As of Thursday evening, Amazon still shows nearly 1,000 results for "Trump merchandise," like the hats and flags used by rioters. Amazon spokespeople were not immediately available for comment.
Amazon has faced criticism in the past for selling items associated with hate. The company kept up items related to the QAnon conspiracy theory, which baselessly claims the existence of a "deep state" cabal of human traffickers. Fellow e-commerce firm Etsy banned QAnon-related merchandise on its platform in October, Insider's Rachel Greenspan reported.
Twitter has locked Trump's account for 12 hours Wednesday night. A representative told Insider the company is evaluating the situation and will notify the public "if further escalation in our enforcement approach is necessary."
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Elon Musk told his 76-year-old dad Errol to 'keep quiet' in a text message after he said he wasn't proud of his son, report says
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- Nepotism and termite-like corruption dented India : Modi
- Modi lists five pledges to turn India into a developed country in 25 years
- There will be a major shift in the way Indians shop and consume brands
- Modi remembers Nehru and Sarvarkar in his speech today
- Made-in-India gun used for 1st time for ceremonial salute at Red Fort on Independence Day