Best Buy is branching out to sell grills and luggage as retailers look to capitalize on our pent-up desire to get outside and travel
Best Buyis expanding beyond its usual tech products to attract Americans heading outside again.
- The company is now selling items like grills, outdoor heaters, laptop bags and luggage.
- Best Buy's sales surged last year as customers bought gear for remote work and home entertainment.
In a departure from its usual tech offerings, Best Buy is now selling products like grills and luggage in order to appeal to Americans heading outside again as the economy reopens.
The tech retailer is adding outdoor living products and travel gear to its lineup ahead of the summer, when many Americans will head outside, whether it's just to their backyards or on
"During the pandemic, many of us turned our focus to our homes, whether that meant moving, renovating or simply redecorating - and that trend isn't slowing down," said a press release issued by the company on Tuesday.
Best Buy's new product offerings will be available online and in select stores. Its website now features items like grills, outdoor heaters and backyard décor from brands like Weber, Trager and Ooni. The company says it plans to offer an expanded variety of fire tables, outdoor furniture and more in the near future. To encourage buyers, Best Buy is also offering free delivery and assembly for some grills when customers spend $100 or more on grilling accessories.
The company also is selling new business gear ahead of many Americans' likely return to the office later this year. This includes nearly 75 TUMI products, such as backpacks, laptop bags and luggage.
Best Buy's attempt to attract outdoors-bound customers comes after a year in which the company successfully wooed those stuck indoors. The company's sales surged in 2020 as Americans outfitted home offices for remote work and bought entertainment gear to keep themselves occupied as they stayed home during the pandemic.
The new additions represent Best Buy's latest effort to branch out into new territory. The company previously added home exercise equipment to its inventory, and earlier this year the retailer began a pilot for a new membership program, Best Buy Beta, that takes aim at Amazon Prime.
- From usernames to secret codes for locked chats, here are the upcoming WhatsApp features
- Coal sector PSUs poised to cross ₹21,030 crore Capex target for 2023-24
- Stock markets snap six-day rally; Sensex slumps over 400 points
- From Lathmar Holi to Jallikattu: India's most unusual festivals
- Orient Technologies files draft papers with Sebi to mop-up funds via IPO