Big Lots says its decision to accept Bed Bath & Beyond coupons is drawing more 'dislocated' shoppers to the struggling discount retailer
- Bed Bath & Beyond filed for bankruptcy in April after months of struggling to keep up profits.
- Big Lots is one of many retailers that have accepted Bed Bath & Beyond coupons at their stores.
When Bed Bath & Beyond announced it would be filing for bankruptcy in April after a months-long struggle, many other retailers swooped in to accept Bed Bath & Beyond coupons to bolster their businesses.
For Big Lots, a discount furniture and home decor retail chain that's been wrestling with its own financial problems, Bed Bath & Beyond's pain has been its gain, per Big Lots executives.
"We think there's a big opportunity for us to bring in some of the dislocated customers from the Bed Bath & Beyond bankruptcy," Bruce Thorn, Big Lots president and CEO, said during an earnings call Friday. "We've got a good store footprint overlap with their stores within 10 miles."
"Our recent campaign to honor their 20% discount was a great success in terms of attracting 90 million TV and radio impressions, and that resulted in good redemption rates that allowed us to sign up more loyalty customers from that," Thorn added. "We expect that to continue. Right now, they're in the process of liquidating their stores and their products."
He said Big Lots also plans to focus on "other companies that unfortunately have gone out of business." On Friday, it reported a net loss of $206.1 million in its fiscal first quarter and a year-over-year drop of 18.3% in net sales. The company also suspended its dividend, sending shares tumbling.
Big Lots isn't alone in trying to capitalize on the fall of Bed Bath & Beyond. The Container Store, JoAnn, and Sur La Table have also been accepting Bed Bath & Beyond coupons in hoping to attract new customers.
Do you work for Big Lots and have a story to share? Contact reporter Ben Tobin over email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- You can buy more Yeezys today, if you can get past the app crashes and error messages
- Two Mukesh Ambani-owned companies are among India’s top 5 valuable brands
- TVS, Ather, Ola hike prices of electric two-wheelers as new subsidy norms kick in
- IKIO Lighting sets IPO price band at ₹270-285/share
- Royal Enfield sales rise 22% in May at 77,461 units
- GST collection rises 12% to ₹1.57 lakh crore in May