Condom giant prepares for a sales boom as global pandemic restrictions ease
- The world's largest condom producer is preparing for a sales boom as the world reopens.
- Malaysian giant
Karex, which supplies well-known brand Durex, saw sales plummet in the pandemic.
The world's largest producer of
Malaysian contraceptive giant Karex said Monday – while announcing second-quarter earnings – that as vaccination rates ramp up across the world and countries begin to adapt to a new normal, it is expecting demand for its
Karex, which produces around 5.5 billion condoms a year and supplies well-known brands such as Durex and ONE Condoms, saw its sales battered by the pandemic. CEO Goh Miah Kiat told media outlet Nikkei Asia in January that sales of these products fell by 40% over the past two years.
The slump came as a shock to Goh who anticipated a boom in condom sales in the early days of the pandemic in March 2020, and even warned of global shortages at that time.
Discussing the company's two-year sales slump with Nikkei Asia in January, Goh said that demand for the products had fallen as hotels and motels closed during the pandemic, and government condom distribution programs came to a halt.
"A large portion [of condoms] is distributed by governments around the world, which have reduced [distribution] significantly during
Goh said that condom sales had already improved in the early part of this year. UK consumer goods giant Reckitt Benckiser, which owns the Durex brand, said this month that it has seen strong sales growth in its intimate products as restrictions eased.
- IAF boosts Su-30 aircrafts' capabilities with new over 250km strike range missile
- Over the top growth: OTT subscribers up 20% this year to 424 million, says Ormax
- Sikandar Kher, Sushmita Sen begin preps for 'Aarya 3'
- AAP crosses majority mark of 126 in MCD polls
- Paytm makes it easier to pay credit card bills – here are five reasons why you should be using it
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- RBI hikes repo rate
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World