Costco is quietly the perfect road trip pit stop
Costcodoesn't advertise itself as a road trip stop, but it's a key part of my ideal road trip.
- The big-box store has discounted
gasand food, plus clean bathrooms.
- I stopped at several Costcos while driving 2,000 miles around the country, and I'd do it again.
There are plenty of reasons to be a Costco member, but here's another in time for any final summer vacation: Costco is the perfect place to stop on a long road trip.
My fiance and I took a nearly 2,000-mile road trip at the beginning of summer, and we stopped at Costcos all around the Midwest on our trip. Here are three reasons I tell everyone taking a road trip that they should stop there, too.
1. Gas prices
Gas is one of the biggest expenses on a long road trip, so it's key to get it cheap when you can. Costco is known for having some of the lowest gas prices in the US. In 2019, Insider found that Costco was the cheapest chain for gas in 21 of 50 states.
In the Rochester metro area, where I live, GasBuddy says the average price of gas is $3.17 per gallon, while it is only $2.89 at my local Costco right now. Like its famous rotisserie chicken deal, low gas prices are another deal that gets customers on Costco property, where they might buy higher-margin items.
As an added bonus, in my experience, Costco stations are well-lit and have an attendant, which makes me feel very safe. On our road trip, the attendant would even give us a treat for our dog.
2. Budget-friendly snacks
Maybe you planned ahead and stocked up on snacks before you hit the road. Either way, the
The menu was limited for much of 2020, but now other items are back too, including ice cream, smoothies, and churros.
3. Clean bathrooms
Finally, if you're already there for gas and lunch, you might as well stop to use the bathrooms too. Costco bathrooms tend to be clean and spacious, and you're much less likely to run into a line than at the highway rest stop.
Just make sure to check the store's hours, because they sometimes close as early as 6 pm on weekends.
Do you have a story to share about a
- Glenmark to divest 75% stake in Glenmark Life Sciences to Nirma; stock slips
- Families concerned over 'escalating tension' between India and Canada
- India-Canada tension: Trudeau says not looking to provoke; MEA says no specific information shared
- HDFC MF gets Reserve Bank nod for raising stake in Federal Bank, Equitas SFB to 9.5%
- Cutting across party lines, Rajya Sabha MPs support women's reservation bill