Crocs sues Walmart, Hobby Lobby, and 19 others, claiming they sold copycat versions of its $50 signature clogs
Crocssued 21 businesses, alleging copyright infringement of its signature $50 clogs.
- This included
Walmartand Hobby Lobby. Walmart has $12 clogs on its site.
- Other companies copied the signature holes at the top of the Crocs clog, it said.
Crocs is trying to stamp out copycat versions of its signature clogs.
The Colorado-based shoemaker filed a lawsuit on July 12 against 21 retailers, manufacturers, and distributors - including Walmart and Hobby Lobby - alleging trademark infringement of its signature clog
Crocs' clogs have exploded in popularity in recent years as customers opt for comfort over anything else. Their distinctive style, swept up in the "ugly fashion" movement, has made them one of the most divisive shoes on the internet.
In the suit, filed in the US District Court of Colorado, Crocs alleged that 21 businesses sold similar versions of its clogs at lower prices.
The company "has suffered and will continue to suffer irreparable harm" to its reputation because of this, it said.
"Given the virtually infinite number of different, non-infringing footwear styles in existence today, and which are available to other footwear companies, Crocs' competitors do not have any actual competitive need to use the Crocs 3D Marks in commerce," it added.
The 3D marks are the holes at the top of the Crocs clog - a signature part of its look.
Crocs also pointed to reviews on retailers' websites, including Walmart's, where customers had drawn similarities to the Crocs clog.
"If you are in the market for crocks, these are awesome! They are great quality, and very inexpensive," one reviewer wrote below a listing of a pair of $10 clogs on Walmart's website.
The Hobby Lobby white clogs listed in the lawsuit were not available on its site as of Thursday. Insider reached out to Walmart and Hobby Lobby for comment but did not immediately hear back.
Walmart was sued by Kanye West's Yeezy brand last month over its "virtually indistinguishable" foam sliders.
- Durjoy Datta tweets about Paytm UPI LITE making payments faster and easier, fellow author Ravinder Singh responds
- A former Twitter engineer said they watched colleagues 'drop like flies' from a virtual meeting during Elon Musk's mass layoffs
- A 'hole' 30 times Earth's size has spread across the sun, blasting solar winds that'll hit our planet by end of this week
- OnePlus Nord CE 3 Lite 5G and Nord Buds 2 to launch on April 4 – Here’s all you need to know
- Amazon Convertible Fest sale – Best deals on convertible ACs and refrigerators
- Govt intervention critical to remove green financing barriers, IPCC report stresses as we move towards 3.5°C warming
- BYJU's set to raise $250 million, at a lower valuation
- Piramal Realty inks deal with Jio-bp to install EV charging stations at its properties