How do Indians like their eggs? Ordered instantly, says a Swiggy report
- Consumers in the cities of Bengaluru, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, and Chennai are the biggest users of
- These cities also saw the maximum orders for distress items, close to 2 million sanitary napkins, menstrual cups, and tampons were ordered on Instamart in the past year.
- Mumbai users ordered condoms 570 times more in the past 12 months than a year ago.
AdvertisementGrocery service platform Swiggy Instamart has catered to more than nine million users between June 2021 and June 2022, showing how the demand for quick commerce has surged. This growth is driven by metro cities such as Bengaluru, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi and Chennai.
The quick-commerce platform delivered 50 million eggs in the last two years. Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai were the top cities that placed orders for eggs with an average of six million orders each, between June 2021-2022.
“Customers from Bangalore and Hyderabad ordered the maximum number of eggs for breakfast, while customers from Mumbai, Jaipur, and Coimbatore ordered the most at dinner time,” the report said.
From eggs to healthcare and condoms – customers are buying everything they can
Consumers are using quick-commerce platforms to buy healthcare products. Close to 2 million sanitary napkins, menstrual cups, and tampons were ordered on Instamart in the past year.
In Mumbai, customers also ordered condoms online 570 times more in the last 12 months.
The highest bill amount on Instamart was ₹11,535 and the lowest order, after discounts and offers, went to as low as ₹1.
Quick bites gain more weight
Another popular category in June 2021-2022 was instant noodles. Swiggy Instamart delivered over 5.6 million packets of instant noodles across Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai.
Ready-to-eat Upma and Poha were also popular on the app, with Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi ordering the maximum during dinner time.
AdvertisementBeverages coffee and tea orders grew by 2,000% each in the last year. While 30 million orders for another breakfast staple – milk – were placed on the app, with Bangalore and Mumbai leading morning orders. The top three ordered dairy items were regular milk, full cream milk and toned milk.
Users also relished ice creams to cool off the summer heat, as their orders jumped by over 42% in the months of April-June. The orders were placed after 10 PM in metro cities. With temperatures reaching an all-time high in Hyderabad in these summer months, users ordered over 27,000 bottles of juice.
Metro cities are also ordering exotic fruits online. As per the report, Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai ordered Kiwi, crispy green apples, imported green pears, avocados, and dragon fruits. Bangalore topped the list and bought over 1,200 tons of organic fruits and vegetables.
Over 2 lakh orders for bathroom cleaners, scrub pads, drain cleaners, and more were also placed in the last year.
Popular on BI
- An American tourist in Seoul said he sprayed graffiti in 155 places to raise awareness about teeth grinding
- X could lose $75 million in ad revenue after a litany of controversies from Elon Musk, including his endorsement of antisemitic comments, report says
- The S&P 500 will trade near its all-time high before a recession drags it down again in a topsy-turvy 2024, Société Générale says
- White collar roles more at threat from AI
- Market cap of BSE-listed firms hits record high of Rs 331 lakh crore; just shy of entering $4-trillion club
- 10 Best honeymoon places near Delhi
- Samsung launches new smartphone with 50 MP camera in India
- Unveiling the sweet side of corn: 7 mouthwatering recipes