How do Indians like their eggs? Ordered instantly, says a Swiggy report
- Consumers in the cities of Bengaluru, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi, and Chennai are the biggest users of
- These cities also saw the maximum orders for distress items, close to 2 million sanitary napkins, menstrual cups, and tampons were ordered on Instamart in the past year.
- Mumbai users ordered condoms 570 times more in the past 12 months than a year ago.
AdvertisementGrocery service platform Swiggy Instamart has catered to more than nine million users between June 2021 and June 2022, showing how the demand for quick commerce has surged. This growth is driven by metro cities such as Bengaluru, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Delhi and Chennai.
The quick-commerce platform delivered 50 million eggs in the last two years. Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai were the top cities that placed orders for eggs with an average of six million orders each, between June 2021-2022.
“Customers from Bangalore and Hyderabad ordered the maximum number of eggs for breakfast, while customers from Mumbai, Jaipur, and Coimbatore ordered the most at dinner time,” the report said.
From eggs to healthcare and condoms – customers are buying everything they can
Consumers are using quick-commerce platforms to buy healthcare products. Close to 2 million sanitary napkins, menstrual cups, and tampons were ordered on Instamart in the past year.
In Mumbai, customers also ordered condoms online 570 times more in the last 12 months.
The highest bill amount on Instamart was ₹11,535 and the lowest order, after discounts and offers, went to as low as ₹1.
Quick bites gain more weight
Another popular category in June 2021-2022 was instant noodles. Swiggy Instamart delivered over 5.6 million packets of instant noodles across Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad and Chennai.
Ready-to-eat Upma and Poha were also popular on the app, with Bangalore, Mumbai and Delhi ordering the maximum during dinner time.
AdvertisementBeverages coffee and tea orders grew by 2,000% each in the last year. While 30 million orders for another breakfast staple – milk – were placed on the app, with Bangalore and Mumbai leading morning orders. The top three ordered dairy items were regular milk, full cream milk and toned milk.
Users also relished ice creams to cool off the summer heat, as their orders jumped by over 42% in the months of April-June. The orders were placed after 10 PM in metro cities. With temperatures reaching an all-time high in Hyderabad in these summer months, users ordered over 27,000 bottles of juice.
Metro cities are also ordering exotic fruits online. As per the report, Bangalore, Delhi, and Mumbai ordered Kiwi, crispy green apples, imported green pears, avocados, and dragon fruits. Bangalore topped the list and bought over 1,200 tons of organic fruits and vegetables.
Over 2 lakh orders for bathroom cleaners, scrub pads, drain cleaners, and more were also placed in the last year.
Popular on BI
- Dr Pepper forced to give $100K prize to BOTH contestants after boos erupt following odd tie-breaker at SEC championship halftime contest
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- ChatGPT is a new AI chatbot that can find mistakes in your code or write a story for you
- Sensex, Nifty50 open in the red amid negative global cues – TVS Motor, Adani Enterprises, HDFC among stocks to watch out for
- The science behind selling a dress to an Indian woman, according to the CEO of Latin Quarters
- All except three Indian sectoral indices have outperformed their US counterparts in 2022 so far
- Best bike helmet under ₹1000
- Best dinner set under ₹2000
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Droneacharya Aerial IPO
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World