From German chocolate cake to chili con queso, here are 15 foods you think are from other countries but are actually American
Crystal Cox/Business Insider
There are many dishes regarded as "foreign" that were actually invented in America.
- American food is a hodge-podge of what immigrants brought to the country.
- But there are also many foods that some may think of as foreign but that were actually invented on American soil.
- From fortune cookies to spaghetti and meatballs, here are 15 foods you might think are from other countries but are actually American.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
What makes a food "American"?
Unlike people, food can't undergo a citizenship test. Plenty of cuisines have been adapted from other cultures in order to appeal to American palates. And in fact, most American foods that are commonly eaten today have foreign origins, by virtue of America being a country of immigrants.
But there are also quite a few dishes commonly regarded as "foreign" that were actually invented in America. Here are 15 of the most famous ones:
German chocolate cake
Spaghetti and meatballs
Chile con queso
Sushi rolls with rice on the outside
Chili con carne
- Toyota was right about hybrid cars all along
- The youngest son of Asia's richest man is getting married, and the pre-wedding event features Rihanna, a 9-page dress code, and live animals
- Check out some of the best and most daring looks at Ambani's pre-wedding bash — from Rihanna to Mark Zuckerberg
- Impact of AI on Customer Service
- Bengaluru cafe blast: Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah to chair meeting with top police officials today
- India retains full policy space for benefit of farmers, fishermen at WTO: Goyal
- Sensex, Nifty settle at new closing high levels in first part of special live trading session
- Passive Income Streams