KFC is reigniting the chicken wars with a new sandwich to take on Popeyes and Chick-fil-A
KFCis releasing a new crispy chicken sandwichin select cities.
- The sandwich is notably similar to competitors from
Popeyesand Chick-fil-A, restarting the chicken sandwich wars.
- McDonald's and Burger King are also known to be working on competing sandwiches.
KFC is reigniting the chicken sandwich wars only one week into 2021 with the introduction of a new sandwich, available in nine US cities starting Thursday.
The sandwich, simply called the "KFC
The chicken sandwich wars have been seemingly cold for some time, although Insider has reported on several chains gearing up to introduce competitors to Chick-fil-A and Popeyes, which both sell crispy chicken sandwiches with pickles. KFC seemingly takes a shot at Chick-fil-A in its statement, saying that the sandwich "will be available seven days a week," while Chick-fil-A is famously closed on Sundays.
McDonald's plans to roll out three new chicken sandwiches in late February, and Burger King was spotted testing out a chicken sandwich in October. Wendy's also released a new "classic chicken sandwich" in October, replacing the older "homestyle chicken sandwich."
Yum Brands, which owns KFC along with Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and other chains, had a relatively good 2020 compared to other restaurant chains, with sales increasing more than $1 billion in Q3 compared to 2019. KFC sales declined slightly, which was offset by Taco Bell's gains in a year when the chain cut popular menu items and improved drive-thru performance.
- Adani Ports Q1 profits declines to ₹1,091 crore
- Unicorns and startups should prepare for a longer funding winter, says SoftBank's Masayoshi Son
- Lok Sabha passes Energy Conservation Bill to promote non-fossil fuels
- Indian government is reportedly planning on restricting Xiaomi, Realme, Vivo and Oppo from the budget smartphone segment
- Less than 50% of children able to catch up with age-appropriate learning, claims survey