KFC is reigniting the chicken wars with a new sandwich to take on Popeyes and Chick-fil-A
KFCis releasing a new crispy chicken sandwichin select cities.
- The sandwich is notably similar to competitors from
Popeyesand Chick-fil-A, restarting the chicken sandwich wars.
- McDonald's and Burger King are also known to be working on competing sandwiches.
KFC is reigniting the chicken sandwich wars only one week into 2021 with the introduction of a new sandwich, available in nine US cities starting Thursday.
The sandwich, simply called the "KFC
Read more: How Dunkin' stole Starbucks' crown as king of social media in 2020 using TikTok stars, purple drinks, and coffee-scented candles
The chicken sandwich wars have been seemingly cold for some time, although Insider has reported on several chains gearing up to introduce competitors to Chick-fil-A and Popeyes, which both sell crispy chicken sandwiches with pickles. KFC seemingly takes a shot at Chick-fil-A in its statement, saying that the sandwich "will be available seven days a week," while Chick-fil-A is famously closed on Sundays.
McDonald's plans to roll out three new chicken sandwiches in late February, and Burger King was spotted testing out a chicken sandwich in October. Wendy's also released a new "classic chicken sandwich" in October, replacing the older "homestyle chicken sandwich."
Yum Brands, which owns KFC along with Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, and other chains, had a relatively good 2020 compared to other restaurant chains, with sales increasing more than $1 billion in Q3 compared to 2019. KFC sales declined slightly, which was offset by Taco Bell's gains in a year when the chain cut popular menu items and improved drive-thru performance.
- Sensex, Nifty slip for second day; FMCG, IT stocks drag
- Air India puts together 'huge financing deal' for new fleet: CEO
- Marine species including whales and dolphins under significant threat from noise pollution
- ITR filing: Your guide to Form 26AS and why you should check for TDS discrepancies
- A complete itinerary for your 3 days in Mount Abu