Local officials in Florida were reportedly threatened over a new Costco store opening, with one person asking for their home addresses and pictures of their kids
- A person reportedly threatened officials in Stuart,
Florida, over a new Costcostore.
- WPTV said the person asked locals to share home addresses for city commissioners on Facebook.
- Opponents of the store say it could damage the local wetlands and make traffic worse.
Officials in Stuart, Florida, were reportedly threatened in a Facebook post over plans to open a Costco store.
A report from the local Florida
"Bring tar and feathers for the city commissioners? Post their home addresses, pictures of their home addresses, pictures of their cars, license plates, kids, family?" the Facebook user wrote, according to WPTV.
The newly approved Costco store, which is part of a larger development, has been debated for several years. While some residents say they're happy to have new jobs in the community, others say the development could damage wetlands and make traffic worse.
Read more: Costco keeps smashing sales expectations during COVID-19 despite being 'stubborn' on digital. Here's why analysts approve of the big-box store's slower approach.
Troy McDonald, a city commissioner, told WPTV last week that he had asked his wife to be vigilant.
"It is unacceptable to put that kind of rhetoric out there online," he said. "It puts people in danger and quite honestly, I'm outraged."
Insider reached out to McDonald for further comment but did not immediately hear back.
The police said they didn't plan to launch a full investigation into the post because the Facebook user did not share the commissioners' personal details, WPTV reported.
- Financial inclusion made easy for India’s small merchants with Paytm’s pioneering QR codes and Soundbox
- A 24-year-old stock trader who made over $8 million in 2 years shares the 4 indicators he uses as his guides to buy and sell
- My fiancé and I picked out my engagement ring together before he proposed, and I don't regret missing out on the surprise
- Ather announces new e-scooter '450S' with 3 kWh battery pack
- India's manufacturing sector hits 31-month high growth in May
- Coal India OFS: Institutional buyers portion oversubscribed but stock falls
- Looking for a date? Meme, playlist sharing may be the key to success
- Maruti Suzuki sales rise 10% in May as SUV sales make a turnaround