Starbucks customers have more than $1 billion sitting on gift cards
Starbuckscards are bigger than the entire gift cardindustry, according to CEO Howard Schultz.
- Customers put billions of dollars on cards each year as an interest-free loan to the chain.
Starbucks just revealed that a whopping $1 billion is sitting on Starbucks
Every year, millions of people gift and receive Starbucks gift cards, which can both draw in new customers and create convenience for already existing customers. The coffee chain offers cards themed around dozens of occasions, from birthdays and Christmas to Mother's Day and teacher appreciation. They've become a kind of go-to gift for people you don't necessarily know very well, and they're available everywhere, including Amazon, Walmart, and Starbucks' website.
Starbucks projected $3 billion in
Starbucks has been massively successful at getting customers to adopt Starbucks cards. Starbucks cards by themselves are bigger than the entire gift card industry, Schultz said in the earnings call. Customers reload money onto the cards to prepay for orders, which amounted to $11 billion worth in 2021. So far, the chain is set to exceed that figure this year, Schultz said.
Gift cards can be a boon to retailers, as recipients often don't use the full amount. This essentially gifts free money to the card issuer as nearly 40% of 18 to 29-year-olds lose their gift cards before they can spend them, and around 25% of 30 to 64-year-olds do the same. In 2020, that amounted to $164.5 million on Starbucks gift cards that was never redeemed. That money was recorded as revenue, essentially a gift to the chain.
Do you have a story to share about a
- We asked ChatGPT who the greatest athlete of all time is and it did not go well for LeBron James
- A man kept the same pair of contact lenses in for 3 years, causing permanent astigmatism and buildup behind his eyelids. His doctor said he's not responsible enough to wear contacts.
- Clarence Thomas wrote a scathing, nearly 50-page dissent about why the Supreme Court should have gutted voting rights
- Stock markets trade flat in early trade: HAL, Kotak Bank in focus
- Heatwave grips India - Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand to record highest temperature
- Apple Arcade looks Stronger Than Ever - New & Exciting Games Announced
- What is the best date to set for your SIPs – Beginning, end, or middle of the month?
- Asus ROG Flow Z13 review – a premium gaming tablet