The owner of a Ukrainian restaurant in New York says it can no longer open 24 hours a day because his overnight crew quit amid the labor shortage
- A Ukrainian restaurant in
New Yorkcan't open for 24 hours after the overnight crew quit, the owner said.
- The owner of Veselka said he's struggling to find people to work for less than $20 an hour.
A Ukrainian restaurant based in New York can't remain open for 24 hours because the overnight crew quit their jobs amid the
Before the pandemic began, Veselka was open all day and all night, its boss, Jason Birchard, told Insider in an interview on Tuesday. But now, the restaurant is only open from 8 a.m. to midnight. From midnight to 8 a.m. Veselka is closed because he doesn't have enough
"I'm missing an overnight shift," said Birchard, who works six days a week. "I had a crew that never came back to work."
Severe staff shortages have hit large and small businesses across the US since the pandemic struck. As part of the Great Resignation, many
The Ukrainian restaurant, which is a family business, had 100
Birchard said the average wage he pays his employees is between $20 and $25 an hour. Front-of-house staff that receive tips are paid between $10 to $15 per hour, he said.
The minimum wage in New York City is $10 an hour for tipped food service workers, $15 for tipped service employees, and $15 without tips, according to the city's Department of Labor.
"I can't find an employee that will work for less than $20 [an hour]," he said.
For the overnight shift, Birchard said: "I'm willing to pay even premium wage but I just can't find the people."
Birchard told Insider in March that restaurant sales had jumped 75% since the
He said he'll be able to hire some college students who are staying in New York for the summer but added "it's a different group of people I'm looking for overnight."
- Here is a list of bank holidays in October 2022
- An Apple executive is leaving the company after being filmed joking about fondling 'big-breasted women' in a viral TikTok video
- Toyota's president said he 'did a little happy dance' after the company dethroned GM to become the bestselling carmaker in the US last year
- SEBI tightens disclosure norms for IPO, brings mutual fund transactions under the gambit of insider trading rules
- Best camera phone under ₹15000
- Best 5G mobile phones under ₹20000
- 22 lakh Indian IT professionals likely to leave jobs by 2025: Report
- OnePlus says successfully geared up for 5G launch with 5G-ready smartphone portfolio
- Tata Tiago Electric Car
- HCL Tech
- World Heart Day 2022
- Apple Tablets in Amazon Sale
- RBI Repo Rate
- Akash Ambani
- Amazon festival Sale
- Upcoming new Mobile in October
- Amazon Festival Sale
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- RBI Interest Rate hike
- Upcoming Smartphone in 2022
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World