There's a record 100 ships floating off ports in Southern California despite Biden's 24/7 schedule
- The largest ports in the US hit a new record on Monday as 100 ships wait to dock and unload.
- The ports have smashed through multiple records this year as COVID-19 shutdowns meet a boom in consumer demand.
View all Offers
- 15% OFF
Dell 14 (2021) Thin & Light Intel i3-1005G1 Laptop, 4Gb RAM, 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD, 14 inches FHD AG Display, Windows 10 Home + MSO, Black (Vostro 3401, D552151WIN9BE), 1.58kg₹ 37490₹ 37490Buy On
- 2% OFF
Apple Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11-inch and iPad Air (4th Generation) - Black₹ 25109₹ 25109Buy On
- 6% OFF
Dell Vostro 3401 14" FHD Anti Glare Display Laptop / i3-1005G1 / 8GB / 1TB / Integrated Graphics / Win 10 + Office H&S/ Black) D552149WIN9BE₹ 37490₹ 37490Buy On
Apple Watch SE (GPS, 44mm) - Gold Aluminium Case with Pink Sand Sport Band₹ 26900₹ 26900Buy On
- 12% OFF
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite 26.31 cm (10.4 inch), S-Pen in Box, Slim and Light, Dolby Atmos Sound, 4 GB RAM, 64 GB ROM, Wi-Fi+LTE, Angora Blue₹ 28999₹ 28999Buy On
California ports have hit another record, despite Biden's plan to extends their working hours in order to ease the backlog.
According to data from the Marine Exchange, there were a total of 157 ships recorded in and around the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach on Monday, matching a record that was reached for the first time in September. The total number of ships at anchor and in holding areas, waiting to dock and unload at the ports, also hit a fresh record on Monday as 100 vessels floated off the shore.
97 of these ships are container ships, bobbing around at sea outside these ports, and carrying cargo that will likely miss holiday shopping season. Due to the backlog, the cargo ships often wait multiple weeks before they are unloaded, adding time to a
Before the pandemic, the ports' highest record had been 17 ships waiting to anchor, Kip Louttit, the head of the Marine Exchange told Insider in an emailed note.
In an interview with CNN on Monday, Gene Seroka, head of the
"We had 25% of all cargo on our dock sitting here for 13 days or longer [and] that's been cut in just about half over the last week," Seroka told CNN.
Still, he's not expecting supply-chain issues to start to improve until February 2022 as consumer demand continues to soar. Seroka said that the port will most likely need to run 24/7 service until next summer.
Logistics experts have been skeptical about whether Biden's all-night schedule would have a real impact.
"It's great that they've chosen to do something, but we're talking about a less than 1% to 2% change here," Gartner
This is partly because Biden's plan doesn't address the trucker and warehouse worker
"Right now we're just shifting the problem further down the line," former US trade negotiator Harry Broadmen told Insider. "So much focus has been placed on fixing the issues at the ports when it's only one portion of the equation. The entire supply chain needs to be synchronized."
Before the Port of Los Angeles launched 24/7 operations, Seroka said that everyone in the supply-chain network needs to be "on the same page" to fix this crisis - a near impossible feat. Not only do the
- Amazon Great Republic Day Sale — Best deals and offers on Apple iPhones, iPads, and more
- ‘Extreme fear’ is ruling the crypto markets — is this an opportunity or a warning sign for investors?
- El Salvador's president hits back on Twitter after rating agency Moody's issues warning over its bitcoin buying
- Xiaomi 11T Pro 5G vs OnePlus 9RT 5G: Specs, price and features compared
- One of the largest cryptocurrency swapping platforms just lost $1.3 million as users failed to update approvals
- India extends suspension of international passenger flights till February 28 amid rising COVID-19 cases
- Microsoft's Activision Blizzard acquisition will boost its Metaverse plans
- Sony shares slump after Microsoft plans to buy largest game company
- Mythology audiobooks
- Electric car Championship
- India's win in Centurion
- Millionaires Employees
- Car with Waiting Period
- Tax Saving Investment
- Urban Company
- New Year 2022
- Upcoming new laptops
- Bank Holidays in January
- Valuable NFT Projects
- Xiaomi 11i hypercharge
- GST Input tax credit
- Public Holidays in 2022
- RBL Stocks
- Upcoming Smartphones in 2022